Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2000, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Folks,<p>Just wanted to see what the rest of you open-trailer guys are using to keep your equipment in place, or get ideas from you on how I should.<p>I've got a 6.5 x 12' flat bed trailer with a wood deck. There is a 2.5&quot; round metallic railing around the front and sides raised about 1 foot above the deck. Flat 2&quot; metal strips hold the railing above the deck. On back is a large, grated metal tailgate that lowers to a ramp.<p>I took it out one day last week with my two 21&quot; Toros and my edger (I get my 36&quot; Exmark next week) and held it all in place by a 1&quot; x 12' cargo strap. It worked, but it's a pain to have to remove the whole strap every time then restrap everything in again. With my residentials, I make several stops a day and would like to be able to hold each piece in seperately, if possible, so I can quickly remove what I need for each job.<p>Was that clear? <p>Anyhow, let me know what you're doing. I'm new to the trailer thang, having had everything crammed into the back of my pickup and held in by, well, each other up to this point.<p>Your guidance is appreciated! <p>-TGC<br>
Old 06-17-2000, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When you get your Exmark, find out the best spot on your trailer. Screw a piece of wood to the deck of you trailer where the back wheels of your mower rest. I park mine sideways on the trailer with front casters against the side rail and blocks of wood just behind the back wheels. This keeps my walk behinds in place.
Old 06-17-2000, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I second what accuratelawns said. I know somebaody actually sells the block of wood idea made out of metal, can't remember if its trimmer trap or jungle jims or somebody, but check it out to get ideas from to make your own. There are also some 2&quot; thick cargo style starps, not ratchet, just pull-tite. Those work good too if you can mount a couple of eye hooks on your trailer. The best way to do it is put all your equipment on there they way you want it organized and then you'll be able to see better what you need to do to secure everything. Speaking of organizing the equipment on the trailer....there should be a plan, depending on your jobs. There were some jobs I had to use a trim mower (21&quot and not my 48&quot;'er but my dumbass had my trailer loaded with the 22 in front so I had to unload my 48 to get to it. TIME IS MONEY!! Figure out the way to organize your equipment that will save you time on accessing it all. Hope this helps!<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 06-17-2000, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cut and nail 2x4s on the trailer deck.<p>Cheap, quick, easy, it works and you can change it when you get different equipment.<p>We have our trailers custom built and everything just drops into place, but we spend 4000-4500 each trailer.<p>I've helped a few guys set theirs up and for the money you can't beat 2x4s.<p>
Old 06-17-2000, 09:58 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I use 2X4 blocks behind the back tires on my Dixie Choppers and have them screwed to the trailer deck. I pull one on and use the pull tight straps and back the next one on and they end up bumper to bumper with blocks in front of the back tires on the one I back on and it has a parking brake and I set it and I use the straps to tie it also. I have found the heavy duty straps at a motor cycle shop are the best ones. One day a week we take the 21&quot; along for doing around swimming pools and tie it down at the back of the trailer.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>The Grass is always Greener on the other side of my competitors fence
Old 06-17-2000, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I recently learned the hard way that I have to strap down my Lazer. <p>I have a 6'x8' trailer with a ramp. I back the Lazer in, then put my 21&quot; honda between the front tires of the Lazer. Gives just a few inches between the honda and the ramp. I'd never strapped the Lazer down before. What made me start to strap it down was that the Lazer would move back on the trailer, pinching the honda against the gate. It ended up bending a drive wheel. I tried to &quot;gently&quot; bend the wheel back and snapped off the attaching bolt. Not much fun when you need to use a machine that's broken after all parts stores are closed. The bolt was a special bolt with long shoulder, plus it was metric. So ended up waiting till the next day. Now I faithfully strap the Lazer down.
Old 06-17-2000, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We never have any piece of equipment contact another piece of equipment-- especially during transportation.
Old 06-17-2000, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a rope tied across the front loose ennough to slip over the front caters on the 48&quot; hydro since it creeps back and another rope tied across the casters of the 36&quot;, 21&quot; in the back fits right up against the gate gate so it doesn't move.Works pretty good only have to untie one side of the rope for the 36&quot; and go.
Old 06-17-2000, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a rope tied across the front loose ennough to slip over the front caters on the 48&quot; hydro since it creeps back and another rope tied across the casters of the 36&quot;, 21&quot; in the back fits right up against the gate gate so it doesn't move.Works pretty good only have to untie one side of the rope for the 36&quot; and go.
Old 06-17-2000, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have tail pipe clamps welded on each side of the trailer.I use ratchet straps or motor cycle straps. I always strap every thing down.