Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-17-2000, 11:38 PM

Its probably against the law not to strap equipment down. During an accident you could end up wearing a lazor. Ever see a flatbed with his load not strapped down? Equipment on trailors can become missles in an accident. Or you could swerve and things could go flying off and hit cars etc
Old 06-18-2000, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use 4 tonne (9000 lb) ratchet straps to <br>hold the Walker on the back of the small truck.I use chains and dogs to keep the tractor on the big truck. Over here the law<br>says you must be able to turn the truck <br>upside down and nothing must fall off.<br>This was bought on by a lot of accidents<br>involving backhoe contactors.<p>Karl<br>
Old 06-18-2000, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I tried 2x4&quot;s and they worked ok until I chunked them out when the deck was set low in the spring. I use 1x2&quot;s and that keeps them from rolling. Its all in what works for you. I dont use straps anymore unless I'm gonna take the highway. I have a big steel gate in the front of the trailer that is a bit of a guardrail if I got in a wreck.
Old 06-18-2000, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love the 2x4 idea, guys. I spent a couple days going back and forth in my head about what I was going to do to secure my stuff, now I'm feeling at ease again thanks to you.<p>Why do I ever wrack my brain at all? You guys rock. <p>-TGC
Old 06-19-2000, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I use motorcycle tie down straps. works great.<p>GEO
Old 06-19-2000, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

2x4's galore-<br>my steiner 220 tends to lose fluid in the lines after shutdown, & fluid drains back into tank, causing to roll. Last summer I had WB off & nothing in front of the steiner. Braked kinda hard for a red light & here comes the steiner rolling out of the 2x4 I put in. BANG! Hit the front railing of trailer hard enuf to bend 1/8&quot; angle iron!<br>So now it has 2x4's in front & back of BOTH wheels.<br>Figure out how you want everything to sit, then butt the blocks against the wheels. Then take a nail or something & scratch along the edge of 2x4 to show where it'll be screwed in. Drywall screws hold better than nails, & are easy to relocate.<br>Word of obvious advice; put the mower you use the most at the back of the trailer closest to the gate. Good luck.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 06-19-2000, 05:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You'd be crazy not to properly tie down your<br>equipment. I have attended accident scenes<br>where equipment wasn't tied down and it's real ugly.A bit of 2 by 4 just isn't good enough. 2 by 4 won't stop the equipment from<br>flying off and killing someone. Your insurance won't cover you either.I saw the result of a backhoe coming off a truck at<br>100 kph (60 mph). The hoe literally flew <br>apart and parts of it hit other cars.<br>Also strapping down helps deter theives.<br>I spent 2 years driving tow trucks and have<br>seen some pretty ugly ****. So strap your<br>gear down!<p>Karl<br>