Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-16-2004, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trouble backing my truck/trailer...

I have a 16X7' trailer and have no trouble at all maneuvering it when it's hooked up to my Expedition.I also have an F350 dump truck which I prefer to take to most of my jobs but have a helluva time backing it.I just can't see very well no matter where I position the mirrors.I guess the only solution is to have some different mirrors installed.Can anyone tell me what I need to do?Thanks in advance. Jim
Old 01-16-2004, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes i would invest in different mirrors, and is seeing the trailer the only problem, just wondering, maybe a different wheel base on the trucks makes the pivot point on backing alot different on the two trucks

Old 01-16-2004, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Auto parts stores sell towing mirrors that just clip on to your original mirrors I think they will solve your proplems
Old 01-16-2004, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

There is a company called Lucerix that makes towing mirrors for the big three truck brands. They pull out a foot on each side and are not convex so you have a clear view of what's going on back there.

There is another company called Powervision (I think that's the right name) that has power slide out mirrors for the big three. Good mirrors all heated and adjustable from the cab.

Longer wheel base trucks make it harder to back trailers. Big thing is don't oversteer with the longer base. It takes longer to start and stop the trailer from turning.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer that has a video cam on a motor home for backing up
Old 01-16-2004, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a few options.

The cheapest would be to buy the "clip on" type mirrors that slide over your existing mirror (unless you currently have a west coast type mirror).

Or, you could replace the mirrors with extendable towing mirrors.

I think these are the two Alan was talking about:

Power Vision Towing Mirrors - I think these are the same mirrors on newer GM HD trucks. They are power extendable and heated, and VERY expensive. Over $400. They might not fit your truck either.

Lucerix - Has several names. I've heard Lucerix, bestop, stylin concepts... They are a little bit cheaper but still expensive. About $300 for a manual version. They make them for more vehicles. Northern tool also sells them.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of mirrors are on the truck now ? The small head tripod style or the smaller regular mount ones ?? I put a set of west coast stlye mirrors on mine and can almost see the hitch ball if the mirrors are out all the way.... I pulled off the small tripod moounted mirror head and drilled three holes in teh upper door frame and then mounted the big 6" x 15" I think they are mirror head s between the stock tripod mounts and the new upper moiunts.... inexpensive and works quite well.. just not heated but you can get heated heads for it...............
Old 01-16-2004, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Many dumps can be difficult when backing with trailers because of lack of vision and short wheel base.

You can extend trailer tongue length, makes backing/turning easier.

Don't know if you'd want to get to the extra time/effort involved, but you can put a ball in the middle of the bumper on front of the dump truck.
Have used one set up that way, very easy to maneuver, even into really tight spaces.

California style mirrors (tall vertical) are a must, they really shouldn't have to extend out too far.