Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-05-2004, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If a customer doesn't have the money to pay. They don't pay. You can have the best looking envelope in the pile of bills. When times are hard they are hard. I'm not against being professional when it comes to envelopes, you just have to pick and choose the areas MOST important to you.

Again like I stated the quality of your work speaks about your business.

When I get to the point where I can be "picky" about the type of envelopes I use then I'll cross that bridge.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by dobehap
I dissagre with a lot of people saying that it doesnt matter how proffesional your envelopes look. Heres why.

Say a customer gets 10 Bills, and they are tight on money, which bills do you think he is going to pay first.... All his real bills are double window envelops and metered postage on it.... and his last bill is with a stamp, and hand written address.

I believe your hand written envelope will be thrown in the bottom of the pile. Those envelopes are IMAGES of your company. And people will think more highly about your "company" when its presented in a proffesional matter -in all aspecs, even envelopes.
It doesnt matter what the envelope looks like, they will pay what is most important to them to get by. And even if you have the best looking envelope in the world, lawn care and landscaping comes in last most of the time because its a "want" not a "necessity", such as power, gas, etc.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok, I know it is a little late to be posting a reply to this thread.
All evidence points to the fact if you want your mailed letter to be opened first put on a stamp.
Letters that look like a BILL are placed in the bill pile while those that look like they might have come from Gram'ma are opened immediately.
Stamps indicate a personal touch that will always go over well with your customers. A stamp says that a person took the time to write to me and not some machine. And if you have the time and neat penmanship writing out the address is exponentially more effective. Also try Blue ink instead of Black.
Keep your stamp as straight as possible because a crooked stamp says that you don't care to be neat.
10 years of Art School, Five years of graphic design work, and many years of studying the psychology of advertising and mass mailings tell me this is so. I could blather on but I am working on a different book at this time and will save up those tidbits for another manuscript.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

To clarify. My invoices are printed. My return envelopes have company logo and address printed. My delivered envelopes have return address with logo printed but are hand addressed. All renewal letters are printed but signed in blue ink. The envelopes are Printed the customer name and address are done in blue ink by hand.
This is a personal dialog between me and my client. Not one between me, my computer, my mail sorter, and my client. People pay me not a machine because it is I who take care of their lawn.