Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2004, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

My new mower keeps back-firing

I've had the mower less than 2 months and now it will not start, but it will back-fire. It's a 14 Kawasaki if that helps. What can I do to correct the problem? Thanks in advance.

edit- so far i've taken the air filter and blowed it out, still doesn't help. should i soak the outer liner with fuel to get it started?
Old 01-18-2004, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Take it back to the dealer!!
Old 01-18-2004, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My 13 HP Kawi back fires all the time. Only when I pull the rope to start it, though.

Has never failed to start. Used to start cold with one pull. Now it usually takes two or three pulls, warm or cold.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper
Old 01-18-2004, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

It's been smooth as silk thus far, and I would take it to the dealer but it's Sunday and tomm is MLK day.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds to me that your float is stuck. Remove float bowl and check.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You may also want to check your fuel filter, or filters. Sometimes they stick one on the end of the fuel intake down inside of the fuel tank. Had a problem with a Walker mower that turned out to be one of these little devils. Actually, even when they don't look dirty they can still cause problems.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point critical. PCLL, Easiest way to check fuel filter restriction is to pull fuel line off at carb and see if fuel runs out at a good, constant rate. May need to run engine while doing this if equipped with pump so do it quick
Old 01-18-2004, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

narrowing down these problems is usually fairly simple. It is usually spark or fuel. Check filters first just to make sure the fuel is getting to the carb. If you dont have fuel replace fuel filters, if you have fuel try cranking without air filter. If engine cranks replace air filter. If the engine doesnt start, remove plug and check for spark. If no spark, is plug wet or fouled, if so install new plug. If not check for spark where the wire connects to plug, if you have spark at the wire but not at the plug ,replace plug. If engine still wont crank and you have spark and fuel it might be that the keyway in the flywheel is sheared or partly sheared which would effect timeing. Replace keyway. This shouldnt be a problem unless you hit something while mowing. Other problems might be low oil level since most new engines have an oil sensor or a bad sensor. Weak spark might mean a bad coil or a wire is grounding out, this happens a lot with electric start. Also if someone has been messing with the carb adjustment screws , the carb may be way out of wack. Consult owners manual for proper adjustment. I have found most times it is either a fuel filter or a spark plug., those inline fuel filters are bad to get stoppedup so I changed mine out to a larger automotive type.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I purchased a new plug, lets hope this works.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not likely a fuel starvation problem. If it were fuel related it would more likely be to much fuel not to little, so I would not start at the fuel filer. I would check and see if a piece of carbon was between the electrodes on the spark plug, check to that there is no moisture in the spark plug boot, check to see that all the connectors and wires for the operator pressence safety cr@p are tight , if these don't fix it I would check all the wires and ground to the electronic ignition coil and module as well as the gap between the coil pickup and the flywheel. Let me know what you find. Tom