Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-02-2000, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, the allison, is generally the choice for the F 650 and F 750, when you go with an auto.

I have 3 trucks, with the engine tranny combo, of an Allison auto push button, and a cat 312 engine.

I think this new 5 speed auto, if built right, will solve Ford's tranny and Diesel problems. However no information is aviable about this current tranny. The current tranny Ford builds, will last and work, if not beat on, and properly maintained.

Geoff
Old 11-03-2000, 06:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When you get into the gvw and towing weights that people are using the super duties for, one shouldnt have to worry about "beating" on the tranny, or just working it for that matter. No matter how well ford designs the tranny it wont compare to the allison. I have heard some reports on the specs on the new 5sp,clutch packs and torque convertor sizes are way smaller than the allison. Plus I hear no grade braking feature, with precludes a very stout design as the weight of the truck is now being stopped or held back by the tranny. Ford really needs to look at this issue very well before it starts testing the new tranny on the public.
One reply I heard on the ford diesel page was that , We know the auto tranny has problems, and we are trying to make it better, but we have done about all we can do, so you have to just live with what we have until we can figure out something else.
Dino
Old 11-03-2000, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Dino,

Good info. I believe Ford is sticking with THEIR tranny for the same reasons that Dodge is supposedly going to MB diesels. Out sourcing those parts cuts into the profit margin, AND also costs them lost work/revenues for THEIR employees making the parts not used.

Pickups have not been this HD since the mid 80's. Glad to see GM is raising the bar. We all benefit eventually.

Dave
Old 11-04-2000, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said Dave, only dodge may not be using MB in the truck line in 2003, from what I read they are trying to stick with the Cummins or possibly detriot diesel, MB now owns them as well. Time will tell what the outcome will be, but at least for now I can say that I own a GM truck with out hanging my head.
Dino
Old 11-04-2000, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

For 2002 Dodge has completely revamped its truck line so look for any changes starting next model year.
Old 11-05-2000, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The change in Dodges line up will be in the 8600 gvw trucks and down, they are going to split their line up much like ford and gm with a light duty and heavy duty pick up line. The dodge HD wont be out till 2003.
http://www.pickuptruck.com
they have a lot of info about all the brands there. GM even has a new show truck much like the ford super cruizer, only IMO not as good looking as the ford.
Dino
Old 11-08-2000, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dodge is staying with Cummins-the website has a confirmation letter from Daimer-chrysler on thier site.The baby PSD is a 4.5 liter v-6,it is a light duty (under 8500) diesel,for the F150,and expedition.The new 6.0 will replace the Powerstroke.Geoff I cant figure out why you would be disappointed-the 6.0 will dust the 7.3,while getting better MPG,starting faster,and requiring less maintance.It also weighs about 100 lbs less than the 7.3.Hp should be in the 300-325 range with torque around 525-550.Emmisions are so much cleaner on the new 6.0 that much more fuel can be added without the typical smoke the PSD belches as HP gets near 300.