Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2004, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

My pond is green

I've just taken on a new acct where the pond is green. Is there a simple process to make the water clear? It's loaded with gold fish, so I don't want to kill the fish in the process.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Most pond supply companies sell products to clear up the water. I use one from Aquscapes I beleave called 'aquaclear'.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aquaclear will work but to kept it clear you need to balance the water. Take a water sample to your nearest pond supplier or pet store, and they should tell you what you need to fix the proplem.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I suppose this product can be purchased at my local LESCO dealer? Any other advice you all want to share? I'd also like to incorporate some plant life this year, when is the best time of the yr to begin, and what plant life is the easiest and best looking?
Old 01-19-2004, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

filtation, filtration, and more filtration

PCLL,
It sounds to me like you may have a few things going on here. I have never been a fan of quick clear chemicals, but they are a short term fix. First check the gold fish population, these little guys can multiply buy the dozen. A healthy number depends on how many gal. the pond is and the filtration systems. You are right to start thinking about plant cover, around 60-70% of the water's surface should be covered, you can get away with less if you have some marginal plants in a bog area in the same pond. Spring is the best time to buy these and many have to be discarded before the first frost. Weatherman has a good point you can't do anything until you know the water quality. Just because it is green doesn't mean you have bad water, but you do need to test it. If this is a high quality pond and the owners want to pay a little more you can install a UV sterilizer. My best guess is the filter system is the root of the problem. can you describe it? Also ponds need to have frequent water changes sometimes as much as twenty percent a month. Often the home owner doesn't want this much maintenance especially if the are using city water.

hope this helps you some.
Jeremy
Old 01-19-2004, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I know for a fact the filtration system is out of date. The pond is located under 300 yr old live oaks, it's safe to say the ponds bottom is covered w/leaves.

Here's what I'm thinking- I will go ahead and "shock" the pond. This way I can determine the fish population, other than counting the lil suckers when I feed them. Once I've determined the population then should I take the next steps towards a new filtration system?
Old 01-19-2004, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

PCLL,
To much leaf debris could be a problem as they off gas during decay. If that was the problem you would be more likely to see dead fish before algae (but it can't hurt to clean them out). In the northwest we have alder trees that cause us leaf problems, I cover my pond with a cheap net from October to December. At a slight angle the leaves side off, makes clean up easy. You should be able to find an inexpensive water quality test kit at your local pond store. How many gals is it? How deep is it? Is it in full sun or shade? How does the filter work (bio falls, bio wheels, under gravel)? Who made the filter and how long ago? How long does it take for the pump to turn the entire pond volume over (should be at least once every two hours)? You may not need a whole new filter, but without a little more information I can't be to much help.

Jeremy
Old 01-19-2004, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Member

That is a lot of info, I suppose I should ask my customer if she still has any of the info you stated. From your response there's allot more to this than meets the eye. Thank you for the help so far, at least now I have somewhere to start from.

Depth- 3.5 ft
Shade- Full
Filter- There are 2, one of which sits above ground- looks like hell
I believe the other, the original, is below ground.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

it sounds like a lot, but don't get over-whelmed

It takes a little work to dial a pond in. once you get this pond cleared up and the client on a regular maintenance schedule she will enjoy it so much more. It also will do great things for word of mouth customers. Anybody who had seen what the pond looked like before and what it has become will be raving about your work. Hopefully it is something inexpensive and you'll be even more the hero.

Try and find out as much as you can about the filter, pump, and pond dimensions and check back.