Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-19-2004, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Would you add this account?

One of our snow customers has been pleading with us to take over the mowing for 2004. We have a little room in our schedule for a couple more residentials. Most of our maintenance is commercial but I want to balance things out more since commercial can be here today and gone tomorrow. Heres the situation:

Widow has to be at least 90..son pays her bills, promptly, and lives out of town.He is my primary contact . Nice to deal with. Well maintained property. Prior lco is going 100% commercial. THey'd rather have one company do the winter/summer work. Personally, I dont care if someone is a snow-only customer. Fits the existing mowing route nicely..
Mowing only would be about 2k per year...plus any add ons.

Why would I hesitiate on this bird in the hand? I dont like turnover in customers. This lady can barely walk, and lets face it, may not be able to live by herself much longer, and frankly might croak any day. (now you see I CAN be hard nosed Bobby). I could fill the few openings in the schedule with a little advertising but here is a situation where they know me and vice versa. Assuming you are not begging for new business, would you take this new account?? At this point I'm leaning towards not taking it but always appreciate other perspectives here on LS...thanks
Old 01-19-2004, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a situation like yours.The lady was elderly/sick and lived alone, her son lived 2 hours away(with his family) and paid his mothers bill always on time.We mowed her residence for about 1 1/2 years until she passed away end of last summer.The son kept us on for the reminder of the season.
The son then inherited the home and decided to keep this home as his second home(because of proximity to beach's).
Well as it goes the son has decided to keep us on maintaining the property.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would take it. Trying to understand your situation as best I can.
I would take it, and if something were to happen to her, the next owner may wish to know who has been taking care of the lawn, and you may retain that new customer. Happen to me this last year, that's why I say it.
also, this may help you save a snow customer too, and since you have good relations with this customer already, I'd say go for it.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't think twice about it Gary...take it. What do you have to lose?
Old 01-19-2004, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i say, think with your heart, not with your head. it would be the NICE THING TO DO. so what if it ends up causing you problems down the road, it's still the nice thing to do. they need you,and you should be there for them in thier time of need.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Gar,
Do you like to make money?
It doesn't sound like a problem account,fits your route and schedule...........................as for turnover,that can happen any time with any customer.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe I didn't get it, but why wouldn't you want that account? At 26 mowings a year thats close to $75 job must be a nice little estate, acre or acre and a half right? can't figure out why you would not want to help out a little old lady during her last days. Or is it that she might croak and you would be left without that account for the rest of the summer?
Old 01-19-2004, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would say take it as long as you put it in a contract that you get paid until they notify you in writing, and you have a real address to collect from. I am dealing with a out of state doctor who has been paying the bill for her mother[his house] for three years now. Well mom is now gone, the sister told me to mow until they sell the house, which they did and now doctor wants to rip me off for three cuttings because someone negleted to tell me they sold the house. So now I have to go to small claims court if the doctor won't respond to reason, he lives out of state and all I have is a adress and a phone number he won't answer. Take the job but cover your rear.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbygedd
i say, think with your heart, not with your head. it would be the NICE THING TO DO. so what if it ends up causing you problems down the road, it's still the nice thing to do. they need you,and you should be there for them in thier time of need.
Who are you and what have you done with bobby?

Gar, I say take it. Just opens up the lines of communication with more people, always good.

~Nest
Old 01-19-2004, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Slow Day?