Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-20-2004, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

How I got here

Well, three years ago in June of 2001, my wife and I closed on our 2nd new house. $260,000. I am an Auto technician at a Chevy Dealer and have been a tech. for 16 years now. She was working for Nortel Networks. (Anybody heard of them?) They handle telephony businesses such as GTE, Bell South, Sprint, etc. We made good money and as I said previously, had a new house, I had a brand new Chevy Z71 extended cab, she had a brand new Nissan Maxima, I had bought my mother a new Chevy Cavalier as a gift and paid cash for it. I also had a new Harley (which I still have). All was well in paradise. Then in February 2002, she got the phone call, she was laid off. Insant $60,000 annual income gone. Unable to find another job even close, we were forced to put our Dream Home up for sale. At $2,000 a month for the mortgage, it didn't take long to empty our savings of nearly $20,000. We had reduced the price of the house to the bare minimum needed to pay it off and still couldn't get a buyer. With $6,000 left to our names, I told her I was finished with the house and we weren't making another payment. I called and met with a Bankruptcy attorney that week and filed for Chapter7. It was the worst day off my life but I had no other choice. Along with losing my house, I also lost my new truck and her car. I took the $6000 and found a rental house for $475 a month. Paid them one year in full and moved in. She started school full time in the fall of that year and is almost finished with a double degree in Dental Assisting and Dental Hygiene. I was going to wait until she finished school to start my business (I am so tired of working on cars) but I found a local equipment company that offered a package deal and they had finance options. So, I finally found someone who would finance my equipment and I bought a 6.5x12 trailer, 52" Exmark Lazer, 48" Gravely WB, Stihl trimmer and blower and started my business. I only do it part time for now until she gets out of school but I have more than enough clients to cover all expenses including equipment payment, maintanence, gas, etc. I even manage to put a little back into the business account. I have one definate commercial job this year at $600 per month and am expecting replies from two more. Things are looking up for us now and I am projecting big business in the future. Well, that's my story. Remember, no matter how bad it gets, it could be worse. Thanks for reading, Mack
Stihl BR420C Backpack
Stihl FS85 Trimmer
6.5X12 open trailer with ramp
6.5X16 open trailer with ramp and side gate
Old 01-24-2004, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice turnaround....I wish you luck!!
Old 01-24-2004, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

good luck to you young man you will do fine.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys.
Stihl BR420C Backpack
Stihl FS85 Trimmer
Old 01-24-2004, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

ANY ONE THAT CAN HELP ME .I AM JUST STARTING OUT WITH LAWN CUTTING IN THE SPRING. IM LOOKING AT ALL HUSKY EQUIPPTMENT. BUT WHERE TO BUY ? I WAS LOOKING AT NORTHERN TOOL EQUIPTMENT. I NEEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET . ALSO HOW IS THE HUSKY TOP OF LINE BLOWER.499.95 FROM NORTHERN.ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO RETURN THE FAV OR GRASS MANN
Old 01-24-2004, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

You should post that in the "Just Starting In The Business" forum to get the most results. I don't know about Husky but I love my Stihl blower and trimmer. The blower was about $400 and the trimmer about $250-$275.
Stihl BR420C Backpack
Stihl FS85 Trimmer
Old 01-25-2004, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Gotta give you credit..takes balls to tell it as it is. Was in NC yesterday, not a cloud in the sky window down.......get back to tropical OHIO and couldnt see any of the three lanes for 200 mile due to the friggin snow. Spring cant come quick enough.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Brother I know how you feel. God bless you and keep you.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I defintly know your story. Keep your head up Bro.

Trust in the Lord
Old 02-01-2004, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Member

CNE, I hope it works out for you and me. I'm going through the same thing right now with the chapter 7, but I get to add a nasty divorce also. But its not going to bring me down. I'm just starting out and have been preparing for this for 3 months. I wish you and your family all the best and have a successful year. Good luck.

Remember, He's watching out for us.