Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-16-2000, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Folks,<p>As I've mentioned previously, I've had my own business about six years now and it was a family business before I took over. I took what my step-father created (and lost at) and turned it into a little money maker. Enough to buy the missus and I our first home and keep us in the black, albeit thinly at times.<p>Having been with this discussion board a couple weeks now, I've come to learn about just how many things I *don't* know about the industry. <p>And it's got me burning for knowledge. Passion is a beautiful thing.<p>I want to learn everything I can about the industry, as if stepping in for the first time. In fact, that's the approach I'm taking with it: This is a new beginning for me. For the last several years I was just testing the market, in my eyes. I have found my knowledge and skills wanting, but I now have direction.<p>Business license is in place. Info on the commercial spraying license is on it's way. Trailer in place. 36&quot; Exmark on order. About 90 assorted accounts waiting for me to go to the next level and provide them service like they never dreamed.<p>Now I need to fill my head with essential info. What would you recommend (aside from these Boards, my first stop every morning before I go and every evening when I return. )?<p>Trade magazines, natch. Which ones do you love?<p>How about some of these books based on the industry? Wise investments? Do you own any?<p>Classes? PLCAA offers certification courses; are they worthwhile, IYO?<p>I'm an avid reader, writer, and researcher so no source is too big or too small. If you know a way to accumulate large chunks of Green Industry knowledge point me to 'em. I may not get 'em all (at once!), but I'd certainly like to hear your reference/training faves.<p>How about software? I've got my financial packages (and a talent for bookkeeping), so that's not a worry, but does anyone use any industry-specific software? Plant encyclopedias, irrigation design, estimating, et. al.? Anything of the sort. What's your favorite?<p>If you can't tell, I'm burning to get to the next level. I realize now that perhaps I was more 'scrub' than pro for my first few years, but only from lack of understanding more than anything. It's the way I was trained in the field, but I always knew I was meant for greater things. Glad I found that in all of you. <p>Feel like I've finally come home, in a way. <p>Once again, appreciate all your input and knowledge. As I gain more of my own that I can trust, you can be rest assured I will return it here in volumes. <p>Thanks again!<p>-TGC
Old 06-16-2000, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Check out Bill Phagans link on the top right hand corner of this page. I think his articles are great, just ordered two of his books, can't wait to get them. Check them out. <p>And just so nobody busts my chops about promoting any 1 business :<p>Nillson sells books too at turfquip.com. I heard his estimating guide is pretty good. <p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 06-16-2000, 11:39 AM

Hello TGCummings:<p>You are at one of the Largest Resources on the internet now!<p>Just go to upper right at Discussions & select all. This will show you all the Post & replys at this GREAT FORUM.<p>It will take you days to read all of this, I also seek information, in vast quanities. I just click on post I like & in the upper left of my web browser I choose to save all & then choose to save HTML file to my desk top. Then I place in folders that I keep my info in. It really helps a lot.<p>Yes it will even save a one page post with a 100+ replies on it.<p>I do not know your knowledge of the internet & please don't get me wrong, because I'm just trying to offer help any way I can. <p>That's why I said what I did above because a lot of people don't know about that, saving HTML pages.<p>Also when you save these pages on your desktop or where ever, when you are on line, you can reduce your browser size & then click on those saved HTML PAGES on your desktop & when the saved page is open, all you have to do is click on hyperlinks & it will take you to other sites.<p>The only reason I went into detail on this is others will be reading too!!!!!<p>I try to help all at any expense!<p>Ok now that I've tooted Chucks horn very loud & belive me there is a wealth of knowledge here in this GREAT FORUM!<p>You can come by my web site & Check out my VIR page, OPE Manufactures page & plenty more. I have over a total of 800 hyper links going to other sources on other sites & about 700 internal hyperlinks. All info is GREEN INDUSTRY RELATED!<p>By The time you get finished reading 1/2 of each sites information you will be able to look up & say: <p>&quot;WoW I'm a GREEN INDUSTRY ROCKET SCIENTIST!!!!!&quot;<p>If you need more info come here daily & drop by my site every few days.<p>Also, most all people started out as SCRUBS & that's a FACT JACK!!!!!<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 06-16-2000, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn Grassmaster, you beat me to it. I was going to suggest hitting your great site for more leads to valuable info. I could spend days just hitting all the links in there & gaining all that new knowledge. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2000, 01:53 PM

Hello BRL:<p>Thanks BRL for all the kind words!!!!!<p>It makes me look good when someone else Toots My Horn for me. Any way thanks a million BRL.<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 06-16-2000, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

TGCummings-Glad to hear you want to inprove yourself and get to the next level!I will try to answer as many question as I can for you.<p>Trade Magazines-I love PRO!Yes 80% of it is advertizements but there are some awsome articles in it my favorite Set Your Prices in Stone.All I can give you is a fax number for Pro it is 920-563-1704.An other Mag is Landscape Management their web-site is www.landscapegroupe.com<p>Software-Only 1 word CLIP.It is the best computer software.It was desinged by lawn cutters and is simply the best.It will tell you how much you are making an hour at any 1 job it will tell you how much you made that year on that job it does your billing routeing there is just too much to list!<p>I hope this helped you out!<p>If you ever have any other questions feel free to email me at freshcut@mail.com<p>I know you will love that new Walk-Behind let us all know after 1 full week of using it just how much time you have shaved off you jobs!<p>One last tip take it easy with that new walk-behind.It will take a while to get use the controls.I put my scag out on a high-way the first month I owned mine.And yes I was flying around on the highway with it!!!!!<p>Talk to ya later TG!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 06-17-2000, 03:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Software Clip!!!Pro mag. Books check all over the net!!! And of course the Commercial Lawn Care Forum. (That being the best)<br>Good Luck Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance
Old 06-17-2000, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

CLIP: Damn, that's some expensive software! Looks worth it, though. Ordered my demo today...<p>Trade Magazines: Still leafing through their web sites, et. al. I'll let ya know what I choose.<p>I think a crash course in turf management would do me some good. Right from the basics up. Anyone ever take/recommend an online course? The University of Georgia offers a Certification program through the PLCAA web site that runs about $300. One of the first things said to me when I came to this site was &quot;invest in yourself&quot;. Sound worthy?<p>Thanks again!<p>-TGC<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: TGCummings
Old 06-17-2000, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

To TG ... okay ... and here's the best piece of advice you will ever receive. Get into any business that has to do with the information technologies because that's where the money is ... that's where the money is going, that's where the future is. People are just beginning to understand that ... knowledge is power. Millions of people can and will become almost &quot;instantly educated&quot; like never before. That's the reason why a new round of fortunes will be made in the information technologies. <p>Some politically incorrect forecasts ...<p>1. In less than 20 years (maybe even less than 10) mowing grass will not be needed. Grass will be controlled not to grow, or not grow as fast.<p>2. New lawns planted will not require high weekly maintenance of any kind. <p>3. Water as we know it will not be used to irrigate lawns to keep them green or growing. Water will not be &quot;wasted&quot; this way. People will drink it only because there will be too many people on the planet to waste fresh water on lawns. Someday, water may be worth its weight in gold. A good investment will be companies that find affordable ways to desalt sea water.<p>4. Planting trees and grass will be seen as a way of helping control air polution as a first consideration before &quot;pleasing&quot; to the eye landscapes.<p>5. Information and knowing (how) to do something will be more valuable than actually doing it.<p><p><font size="1">Edited by: Nilsson Associates
Old 06-18-2000, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nilsson,<p>So your advice to me on the Green Industry is &quot;get out now!&quot;? As much as I appreciate that, I think I'll stick it out. If, for some reason, the service industry becomes a thing of the past for the first time in the history of mankind, then I'll move on to something else at that point. In the meantime, I'm just a Green Industry hick trying to improve hisself and his business.<p>Now, what do you all have to say about that whole &quot;online certification program&quot;? Worth the money or waste of resource?<p>-TGC