Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-03-2000, 04:40 AM
LawnSite Member

How hard is it to clean under the deck and change blades on the exmark mowers? Just wondering if it is a pain in the butt, since they do not fold up like some decks. Thanks Terp
Old 11-03-2000, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

RAMP

I ask the same question at a show
the other day.They said most just
drive up on a ramp to get under.
Old 11-03-2000, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is a big issue for me as I am constantly having to clean under my JD F935--mow wet, heavy growth very often.

The Exmark dealer tells me that they have incorporated a deck jack into the machine for next year--you just fold down the legs and drive forward to lift the deck off the ground for cleaning and blade changing. I haven't seen any pictures yet but I'm waiting.
Will
Old 11-03-2000, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I keep a heavy duty putty knife in the toolbox to scape the deck with. My friend uses an edger blade, but that will gouge your hand.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 11-03-2000, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walkbehinds?
We use a putty knife too, but we tilt the machine up on it's side (air filter up)and block it with a piece of wood. The handlebars don't let you tilt it up far enough to get under if tilting back, unless you like to lay down while scraping your deck
Old 11-04-2000, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I park my ZTR about half way up on the ramp of the trailer, engine back towards ground. Takes little effort to lift entire front of mower up. I slip a 4x4 with a 12x12 plywood base and a v notch cut into the top right under the front cross brace.

Then laying on the ramp it is a breeze to clean the deck or change the blades.
Old 11-04-2000, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, putty knife's the way to go! Just not a wide one though. They're too flimsy and bend too much. The ones I use are about 2" wide I think. And I thought laying down was the only way to SCRAPE the deck!

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 11-04-2000, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If im doing a major scrape job,it goes on the trailer ramp,but when im mowing my 7 acre lawn,and its wet,I have to stop every pass and clean it,so i have 2 scrap pieces of schedule 40 PVC electrical conduit,1/2".I had them left over in my shed,If you bend it in 1/2,the break line is flat and fairly sharp,I use the longer one,I shut it down,while its on the ground,and run it down the discharge shute,the long one clears the whole front lenth of the chute,even flexes around the bends in the deck.the short piece I use for the chute,and at other angles and the baffles.Ths]ese wont do a perfect job,but myDC clogs up bad,and in about 30 seconds i can get it about 90% clear.sInce they are soft plastic and cheap,you can jjust ram them in and out from the side to get most stuff out.These were leftovers,but a 10 ft lenth is about 1.20 ,and that would make 3 nice ones.If i didnt use this way,id have to return to my trailer every 10 minutes,I d have a huge pile there in one mowing,this way its spread out on the lawn,in the back,where no one notices it.
Old 11-04-2000, 09:17 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
You should have bought a 62" Toro.

All I can say is I feel your pain.
Old 11-04-2000, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Speaking of cleaning under the decks, I also used to use a large putty knife.
But, I recently made a tool that works faster and is easier on the hands. I took a piece of flat stock, 1 1/2" x 1/8", about a foot long and bent it to a right angle, about an inch from one end. I then ground both ends to chisel points. Both ends are handy in the cleaning process.