Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2004, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

wife/manual labor/opinions

i was just takin a stroll down memory lane, and i thought of something that happened a few years back. my wife, who the lord blessed with everything, except a brain, was in charge of finances. i was working 70 hrs a week at the printshop, and running a landscaping business. we had several bank accounts, but for reasons i'll not get into, there was not always enough money in each account to serve its purpose. in other words, if you wrote out a check from account #1, and there was not enough money in the account to cover that check, you had to transfer money from account #2, so the check wouldn't bounce. well, in one year, she bounced so many checks, that i paid over $700 in bounced check fines. i put my foot down. that spring i made a new "policy". if she screwed up, and i was fined $30, she had to work with me for a day, to see how hard i worked, and why it was important to pay attention to what you're doing. first screw up occured in may. so, i had a job planting annuals, about 15 flats. i knew the ground there was rock hard. i left her there with a load of topsoil, 15 flats of annuals, and a itty bitty hand shovel. came back 5 hrs later, she definitely worked her butt off. she stayed on top of things till fall, and then bounced 2 checks in one week. well, a rakin we went. dropped her off at a house, and since she couldn't handle a backpack blower, she got a rake, and a garbage can, and a bottle of spring water. when i returned, she was in tears. that was 4 yrs ago, and she hasn't bounced a check since. all of my friends, including the guy that was helping me out, said this was very wrong of me. my point was to show her how hard i worked for my money, and to make her understand that being negligent and causing me to pay fines, meant that i worked for nothing. opinions?
Old 01-23-2004, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I guess you taught her a lesson!

Still married?
Old 01-23-2004, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You know bobby that was not too bad. It would be great for the kids when they are younger. Now here is the only problem I have with what you did.

If I had done that I would not be getting any (sleep) for two weeks. Now I don't know about you but I sure as heck want my sleep. So here is what I did. She had her own checkbook. Then we had one for the both of us and one for the business. She could put $400 per month of her check into her account. The rest went to the mutual account. That is where all bills, food, etc. was paid. She had her own deal and was happy and no bounced checks. That was about 17 years ago.

LIKE I SAID I LOVE MY SLEEP!
Old 01-23-2004, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think it was wrong. When explanations don't cover it, you have to step it up. I think most are going to think that it was chauvenistic of you, but I don't see it as a gender issue. At least now, maybe she understands the value of a dollar and you two can work on your financial goal together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...what would I do without these jerks anyway - besides, all my friends are here."

d.h.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You screwed up bobby and I'll tell you why. If she bounced enough checks to cost you $700 in fees its apparent she does not quite get the concept of a dollar. And in your wisdom to correct the problem you had her work 2 days, Whats wrong with you man? if she has no concept of how hard you work and she does not understand the concept of a dollar why is still not working? I would of had mine working at least a month , then explain thats how hard and long I have to work to cover her 1 screw up and since she made a few more, oh the thought of the free labor and the fact that I could watch her doing manual labor heck I would screw up the check book myself just to watch.

Mac
Old 01-23-2004, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, did it work? then that was good. My wife did the same thing with our joint account. First time I bitched about it. Happend again, I bitched louder. Third and final time I closed account. I would have put her to work but she works already (for insurance) and aint worth a crap for this stuff anyhow. Now she has her own account and problem is all hers. She watches much closer now. Works for me.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

ill keep ur story in mind when i get married.

BUSH-CHENEY 04
Old 01-23-2004, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Personally, I think it's a keen idea.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 01-23-2004, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

oh, you should have heard the cr@p i took from my own friends, "that's spousal abuse, those are grounds for divorce," all kinds of stuff. i couldn't believe my ears. it wasn't abusive when i was working like a slave, and she was bouncing checks cus, "o no, i forgot to transfer...."
Old 01-23-2004, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nelbuts
You know bobby that was not too bad. It would be great for the kids when they are younger. Now here is the only problem I have with what you did.

If I had done that I would not be getting any (sleep) for two weeks. Now I don't know about you but I sure as heck want my sleep. So here is what I did. She had her own checkbook. Then we had one for the both of us and one for the business. She could put $400 per month of her check into her account. The rest went to the mutual account. That is where all bills, food, etc. was paid. She had her own deal and was happy and no bounced checks. That was about 17 years ago.

LIKE I SAID I LOVE MY SLEEP!

I gave up on (sleep) a long time ago. Make her work!!!

If you don't love it, leave it:
Let this song I'm singin' be a warnin'.
If you're runnin' down my country, man,
You're walkin' on the fightin' side of me.
God Bless Our Troops!
http://www.nra.org/ http://patriotguard.org/