Register free!

Old 01-23-2004, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

pest control in St. Augustine

First off, I'm not licensed...yet. Still have a year with current company to qaulify to take state exam. After which I am starting my own business. I live in Florida and will be dealing with St. Augusine-grass only. I plan on applying four fert. apps per year but will be on the property once a month. On month's I'm not applying fert it will be just to spot treat for pests if needed ie. chinchbugs, weeds, fireants....all big problems down here. My question is: since i will be on the property every four weeks to spot treat for pests do you think I need to apply fertilizer with preventatives ie. demension, atrazine, talstar. If I can get away without them it will save me big money on my products. I'm just concerned that I may be setting myself up with constant battles with pests. any comments are appreciated.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Toadie

Florida Lawn Handbook is the bible and the main study material for the test. You can buy it on line from Amazon. Chapter 482 is available on line at BEPC website.

What works in Panama City will not work 350 miles south in Key West. Each lawn will differ in the same neighborhood. What you are asking is what is the BMP (best management practice)? BMP includes IPM. BMP means you treat each area as needed. A rich turf does not need dimension to control weeds but a weak one does. As well irrigated lawn will require less insecticide than a dry one for Chinch bugs. But a well irrigated Lawn is more prone to Grubs. Etc. Good Luck there is no simple answer.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Florida Lawn Hadbook

Florida Lawn Handbook by Kathleen C. Ruppert: is this the book you mentioned......hope so, cause I just ordered it.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

YEP

Kathleen Ruppert makes rounds at the county extension office seminars. She is an excellence speaker. Get on your county extension office mailing list. I am on the surrounding county mailing lists also.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.