Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2004, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Spray Rig

Hey guys,
My branch has decided that we are no longer going to sub out our spraying. We hired a licensed tech but now we need to set up a truck. We want to put it on a F-350 or F superduty with a flat bed, we also want it to have a very long reaching capability. So if any of you guys have somthing like this could you please tell me what I need to buy. We are starting from scratch on this so any working combo is ok. thanks
Old 01-24-2004, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Member

I use a 200 gal skid-mounded sprayer in the bed of the pickup for soil fert, and a backpack sprayer for everything else.

If you plan on using a wider range of products in great quantities, you should consider a multi-tank spray rig that can seperate for say fert, hort oil, funguside, etc.

ArboristSite.Com peacekeeper
Old 01-24-2004, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You might want to consider looking into a permagreen ride-on spreader/sprayer. I got a demo video, and we are pretty excited about this machine. Also depending on the amount of spraying you plan on doing in one day you probably won't need a big dual wheel flat bed. Sure the truck would look cool, and that is always the setup I wanted, but realistically a F350 pickup will be fine and more costeffective. When selecting your tank, you may want to look into getting one that is split 2-3 ways, one section for herbicides which will be the largest, and then 2 smaller sections for insecticides and fungicides. Another option would be to have a large tank against the back of the cab for herbicides, and the a smaller 100 gallon or so tank between the wheel wells for fung/insecticides. Just my 2 cents, let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

we have prob 10 mil or more sqft of slopes to spray!
Old 01-24-2004, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are thses slopes wide open and in the same area, or is that a grand total for all of your spraying? Youi should be able to spray approx 1000sq/ft per minute, the sprayer we use is low volume so we spray 1 gallon per 1000sq/ft. If the spraying you are doing is in one spot then I can see why you need the bigger truck and tank. Howver if it is multiple locations then you wont need anything larger than 500 gallons, and an F350 pickup will handle that just fine. I also saw on another post that you claim to be doing 80mil/yr. Why werent you guys in the LM top 100?
Old 01-24-2004, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

We are, we were # 8 i think. Our slopes are spread out but they are huge. I was thinking that 500gal would do it as we dont want a tru green style truck. Will that tank allow for all other equip to be mounted on the same bed
Old 01-24-2004, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

You prob looked at my profile! sorry i sold that to take a job with this company! so dont go by that. I work for Gothic Landscaping Inc. I work for the maintenance side called Gothic Grounds Managment. So I can see were the eyebrow was raised!
Old 01-24-2004, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, you could put that tank longways against the cab, and would have room from the front of the wheel wells back, which is plenty of room. You must have a good time working for a company like that, I almost relocated to California to work in management at one of the larger companies at there.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have 2 trailer mounted rigs where I work. One has a 200 gal tank and 2 300 gal tanks, the other has 3 300 tanks. One tank on each is just for herbicides. Two pumps per trailer. We used 5.5 Honda engines coupled to Udor Kappa 40 diaphram pumps. 2 electric hose reels with 300 ft of 3/8 spray hose per reel.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah its pretty fun, had no idea how big landscaping and maintenance is out here. I work a lot of hours. Im getting ready to go a saftey class right now! Yes on a sat! Thanks for the insight on the rig. Ill be back