Register free!

Old 01-24-2004, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

questions about pond maint.

Hi guys,

I have gotten a new client who has a pond roughly 30 by 50. the pond is set back in a group of trees. the water quality is horrible. he just purchased the house so he is not familiar with how to maintain a pond. I have never delt with them either, but I dont want to loose the client. I figure that there is a lot of decaying leaves and debris on the pond bottom, and I am thinking of removing it. I also thought that an aereator would be a good idea, but I'm not sure. What would you recommend me to do in order to make the pond healthier.

very confused
swing blade
Old 01-27-2004, 03:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Hope a asphalt plant doesn't move in next door! XD

Well, thats what happened to me anyway... -.-
Old 01-27-2004, 03:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey, I know you! XD
You're on one of the three forms I ever look at anymore! XDD

You might try to talk to the guy at the Pond Doctor place in Sunman if you still need help... >.> It's across from IGA on 101
Old 02-04-2004, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Member

One of the most important things with water quality is the Ph. Get yourself a test kit and start there. Maintaining a pond isnt all that hard. I would recommend definitely getting rid of those leaves on the bottom. Decaying leaves definitely effect water quality. There are some products on the market that will help get rid of decaying organic matter. If there are fish in the pond they need to be taken care of while all this revamping of the pond is taking place.
30 by 50 is a pretty big pond, so just be sure that the client knows that is will be a costly thing and once you get it to where you want it quality wise, make sure he buys a maintenace contract from you so this never happens again!
marg
Old 02-11-2004, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

First at 30' x 50" it may not be big enough to effectively use a floating aereator plus it would probably overwhelm the pond, you want the pond to be the feature not the gushing aereator in the middle.

You didn't mention the depth? which can be important, also is it naturual? dirt or rock bottom? Lined? plastic or concrete?
Fish or Plants? Filtered? and if so what type? Waterfall or stream? Filled naturally by spring or run-off? or filled with city water?
How shaded back there in the trees? Get any sun? What does the water look like now? (at least before winter set in and it froze over) is it cloudy? Algae problems? and if so do you know what kind?

All those factor figuire into maintaining water clarity. With a little more information I think we can get you started in the right direction.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get an underwater areator. Aquascape makes one. They are disc-like diffuser pads that work quite effectively. I will scan it out of one of their catalogs if anyone is interested.