Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2000, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I live in the washington,d.c. area and plan to start a lawn and leaf service. i'm starting on a shoestring budget however i will start w/commercial eq. i went to the lesco dealer and looked at a basic setup that included a 48&quot; walkbehind belt/hydro, a blower, trimmer and an edger. total about3500. i plan to get a lease w/ buy out.<p>i want to start with townhouses because they are lot of them, would have my work in the same area ,and are small andwould give me time to learn before getting bigger jobs. i could keep the pricing the same and simplify marketing and reduce transport time .i would like to stay away from the chemical end of things other than &quot;turfbuilder&quot; type<br>products due to liability issues. i would like to know whatyou guys think of this approach i'm taking.<p>thanks,<br>kevin<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: kutnkev
Old 06-18-2000, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

If you want townhouses then you my want to get a smaller then 48 mower. I would say a snapper/toro push mower or something that will take a beating and last.Lesco has one it a mulcher,bagger and side discharge. If you like it I have one for sale 99 model very little use for $300.00.
Old 06-18-2000, 03:31 PM
bill phagan

Kev,<p>Just finished a book for new people starting in the business...includes marketing, pricing, legal organization, etc. Check my site www.greenindconsulting.com and maybe some of these books will help you.<p>Good luck.<p>Bill Phagan<br>Green Ind Consulting, Inc.
Old 06-18-2000, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks sunrise,<br> thats agood price let me know where i can find you .after looking at some of the post i was thinking of dropping down to a 36&quot;. but that little lesco would be alot better than sears.
Old 06-18-2000, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks bill,<br> i have seen your site and like yours and phil's will be ordering from both lists. i have been on this site for about 2 months but just decided to post.i want to have a full service property management co. when its all over.tested pressure washing last year lots of profit in this area. i want to be a one stop shop not a one man band.so im learning each trade one at atime.<p>kevin
Old 06-18-2000, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

get my email address and i will give more info. I live in northern Va.