Old 10-04-2015, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Going to try something on my lawn

My two story faces west. I have a large red oak and crape myrtle that shades the lawn and house. Hence no grass in the front lawn. Kind of embarrassing to park my truck next to dirt under a shade tree.

I spent the last two days tilling up the lawn. It sure is amazing at how much debris the builders leave. Been here 15 years now and have pulled bricks and such out over time. It just keeps coming. Found a big piece that looks like part of the curb from where they cut the drive way in. Likely pulled out 100 pounds of concrete, mortar and brick waste. It was worse around the drive and walks.

I was relatively amazed at how much tilth that had developed in the middle of the yard. Still some hard pan clay a few inches down. You know those developers scrape off all the top soil and the builder just throws trash in there then covers it will construction sand and sod.

I dug 8" deep around the sidewalks and drive to get some extra depth and to get out the debris. Some of that clay was hard as concrete and the tiller just bounced off it.

Added some cotton burr compost, some peat and some regular compost. Not sure I actually added enough so I may go get some more tomorrow. I hope to use the guys for a couple of hours to help level and roll.

So I am going to try some tall fescue blend this year. Not sure it has enough sun either but it is said the be shade tolerant.

It is a 1/3 blend of :

Coventant II
Rendition RX
Titan RX.

I assume the deeper I can till the better the grass will handle our heat. I did not see many roots in the hard clay clumps that came up. I doubt Fescue will fair better than Bermuda in hard clay.

I think some of the tilth that developed was from the root injections around my tree a few years ago. I may come back and try to fracture the soil some more and repeat in the spring.

Any advise about trying to grow this stuff in North Texas.

Google Plus

Google Reviews
Old 10-08-2015, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No advice from this northerner but I am interested in how this turns out. Sounds like a lot of hard work. Is it irrigated?

I have a honeylocust tree in my front yard (faces east) whose shallow all encompassing root system in making it more and more difficult to keep grass alive. Nice tree but I wish I had not put it in 10-12 years ago.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes it is irrigated. I did run into some small roots but nothing too bad.

Need to move a 9" BHD crape too. This will give the Shumardi Red Oak more room. Maybe too much shade for the Fescue.

Native soil in this area runs around 8.3 pH. I may slam the grass with some 21-0-0 in about a month to try and bring down the pH a little. Could apply some Sulphur pellets too but not sure when to do that, fall is typically recommended but don't want to miss the first feeding.

We have also had a slight up tick in the heat. Now getting into the low 90's. I am sure this is the last wave that high but sure is late in the year.

Google Plus

Google Reviews