Register free!

Old 01-29-2004, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can't get insurance for chemical apps.

I would like to get into doing pesticide and fert apps. ,but I can't apply for the license until I have insurance. My nationwide agent has tried to get someone to write me and has not had any luck. He said the problem is the chemicals ,what? Is anyone else here having this problem? I'm only a part time guy ,but I want to do it right (license, ins). So what do you all suggest? I can just do straight fertilizer without a license ,but doesn't that limit my earning potential?
Old 01-29-2004, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ohio is the lawn care capital of the world, if your insurance guy cant get you coverage then its time to find a new one....period
Old 01-29-2004, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

oh yeah i about didnt get workmens comp this year,,,,,,most insurance companys right now are getting hammered with old spray guys sueing for cancer and other ailments,,,,,,they are blaming the chemicals!

after i survived the rectal probe 6 companys gave us we got insurance,,,,,,double what it was last year!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Try going to State Auto, they offer all kinds of contractor packages. Thy can set you up with a pesticide endorsement that meets the state of Ohio's requirements. They are also very reasonable.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Try to find an agent who writes for Nova Casualty Co out of Buffalo NY. the write mine and a pretty reasonable.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Member

The big companies like Am Fam and Allstate wont do pest. My independent agent got mine through General Casaulty Ins. They are located in Wisconsin. I don't know if you can get them in Ohio or not. For $1,000,000 policy cost $540 a year. They don't have a problem with pest. as long as it total less than 50% of your total sales. I will probably go with a $2,000,000 policy though. My agent said it is only a few dollars more a month. You may also want to try Society Ins. They were a little cheaper, but I decided to stay with my normal agent. He's a Longtime friend of the family.
"Grass is what saves and holds the water that keeps life good and going. ... It keeps the falling rain from flushing away. Blades of grass take water from the air and transpire it into the ground. That works the other way around too. Because grass blades help put water back into the air so that rain can fall again" - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 01-31-2004, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Be careful of buying policy limits greater than 1 mil.
The lower the limit, the less likely an attorney will want to take the case against you.(not that 1 mil is at all low limits) The higher the limit, the more likely they will see dollar signs and really go after you. My wife spent many years in the claims side of the insurance business and what I'm telling you is a sad fact as she saw this trend all too often.
When they see "deeper pockets", the attorneys start salavating.
I have 1 mil and will never buy more for this reason
Old 01-31-2004, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was starting to think that the whole pesticide thing was more trouble than it's worth. I think there is some good money in it ,but if you can't get ins. or you have to pay a couple grand a year for it ,it might be just as well to forget the idea and just do straight fert. What do you all think?
Old 01-31-2004, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Profitable yes.
More regualations in the future...yes. Companies like basf, monsanto, etc, are fighting for their very corporate lives becuase of more govt regs. Plus, if Johnny next door says you poisoned him or his dog, while you may not lose the case, the time and hassle will not be small.
We do chemicals only if the customer absolutely inisists we do it..otherwise I sub it out...and I handle the bills for the fert...customer sees only my montlhy invoice with the fert included. Many here make a nice profit on chemicals...but for me, I frankly dont want to be handling the stuff and all the other headaches that could occur.
Profitable yes, but for me, the cons outweigh the pros.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GarPA- I think you are right on the money. That is one of the best answers I've had on here. I believe I'll use your method and defer the chemical apps to someone else. Do you do fertilizer? And if you do is it worth messing with?
Thanks,