Register free!

Old 01-31-2004, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive been fertin & squirtin for 18 years, my company got into the mowing business few years back because so many people wanted one company to do both....what a mistake, Treatments are soo much more profitable, bottom line is you gotta know what your doing, just because you have a truck and trailer, you buy a spreader and now you a LCO. I was lucky to sell the mowing business a few years back.

I dont worry about johnny next door, because I educate my customer and the local community that LCO's are the safest way to apply these materials. THe number one abuser of lawn care chemicals is the homeowner, Most people have come to understand this, but it kills me when I see people in this industry talking down on what we do. Its hard enough educating the general public, but when we gotta fight against our "own People" that tuff.

Like I said back a few posts' Ohio is the lawn care capitol ( that's where it all started in the 70's with chemlawn. The problem you are having is with your insurance agent. NOT what you want to do.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

smitty...yes its "worth messing with"...its probably the most profitable segment of the green business. But ...you need to know what you're doing....and just passing that idiotic exam that the states make us take, does not at all give you the knowledge and experience that is needed to do chemicals properly. The majority of our revenue is landscape related, and not from mowing or chemicals. Each owner has his preference for what he wants his profit center to be. For us, fert/chemicals are at the bottom of the list. For others, its at the top...so be it. THats why theres more than vanilla ice cream. First define the niche that you want your business to serve....then do whatever it takes to be the best in that niche.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

good point garpa. well said