Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-01-2004, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Advice Needed on Used Toro 44" Mower

Hi,

I just made the jump to a commercial grade mower to manage my rental properties. (I don't have a commercial lc business).

I just purchased a 2000, Toro 44", floating deck, T-bar control mower with a 15hp Kohler engine. Seller indicates only 100 hours on the engine. Seller is including Jungle Wheels and 2 sets of mulching blades.

I am inspecting and picking up the unit next week.

I have two questions:

1. What should I look for when picking it up to reduce the chances I bought someone else's headache, and

2. What are the first things I should do to the until once I have it home (maintenance, etc...).

Any help or advice is appreciated.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Check the deck. Do the blades line up tip to tip and as you rotate them, do they stay the same distance from the bottom of the deck [ you can see this on the side and rear of the deck]. If this two things don't check out you will not like the cut especially when cutting short or near the thatch level on thick lawns. Also check to see that the blades are at the same height at the edges of the mower with all tire pressure even.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

do just what dishboy said about the deck and blades. You should also check the bearings in the wheels and spindles to see if there loose if they are they need replacing, grease if neccessary. Check the transmission to makes sure that it shifts and doent make noises, If the engine oil is really black and the airfilter is real dirty thats a sign that the person never took care of it. IF you bought it from a dearler they should've gone through all that.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I've always found a compression test on the engine to be very useful in determining the value of a piece of equipment.