Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2004, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Trouble with figuring estimates

I am new to this biz and I already own my equipment. I am hoping some of the veterans can help me out with a couple of questions. I have searched for days through this great site for help in this. I have found some answers, but not all. So here it goes. I live in Knoxville TN and anybody who knows about this area, it is rarely flat. The residents I am targeting are primarily upscale homes w/ 1/2 to 1 1/4 acre lots. There are hundreds of new construction, so the potential is great. The question is when bidding the lots, how does the terrain figure in to the time and cost? 2nd, How do you find the "going rate" for this area? I have found this answer for other parts of the country, but don't know if it is the same here. It seems to be different from region to region. 3rd, there never seems to be a so called "normal" yard (real funny shapes on the exterior of the lot). How do you accurately bid these odd lots? My house is on one of these type of lots. I was thinking about calling some of the companies in the area to get some estimates on my yard for some idea of what to look for. What do you think? Thanks for any help and don't beat me up to hard.