Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2004, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Renewal letters

Last year was my first full time year of mowing. I have approx. 35-40 weekly mowing customers. I am trying to come up with a basic format for my letter. Something like home you are making through the winter ok, price for this year(same as last), additional services offered this year, and maybe a few coupons. I am trying to make it sound and look as professional as possible. Any samples, formats, or basic structure would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

personally, i wouldnt ask them if they are making it thru the winter okay. but thats just me, maybe instead i'd say 'spring is just around the corner'

Just be yourself, keep it simple, make sure all spelling is correct.

You could get into what type of paper to use. High gloss coated paper is nice, but with 40 accounts I'd use a standard paper, I feel that will keep a personal touch that folks enjoy. When you get up to, say, 100 accounts, then the high gloss coated paper.

I'd also follow up with a phone call about 7-10 days after you have mailed them. Just a friendly hello, ask if they have recieved the mailing and if they have any questions or concerns before this season gets underway. Also ask for referals!!! You know, "Mrs Jones I'm looking forward to servicing your property again this season. by the way, do you know of anyone in your neighborhood that has a need for my service?"
Maybe have an offer for every referal THAT TURNS INTO A CUSTOMER, one free mowing or something like that.

good luck
Old 02-03-2004, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

here's the one i used last year. i'm currently revising it so that it will include my new services, prices, payment plans, etc. maybe this will give you a few ideas.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 2003 letter (revised).doc (26.5 KB, 418 views)
Old 02-04-2004, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I always use the 'Spring is right around the corner' line on mine.

There's no big formula for writing a letter like that. Just tell them what you need to get across, as simply as possible. That's always my main consideration.

Old 02-04-2004, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys, you've been helpful as always!
Old 02-04-2004, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Captain Green,

There is another renewal letter posted in this post. Maybe it will give you further ideas.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i like the approach that expert is using. it is imformative, brief, lets them know they they are valued, incentives to refer and hooks them into the extra services (ie spring cleanups)
Old 02-04-2004, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Expert, a word of advice. You might want to change that to 1 free mowing for each REGULAR customer referred to you. I tried the referral thing before, and several people got their friends/family to call for a mowing, which got them the free mowing for each referral, but none of the referrals signed up for regular service. Gotta be specific about that kinda thing.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

MTD, I worded it as follows: This year for every successful referral a customer gives, they will receive one (1) free mowing....

Successful referral means they sign a yearly agreement. I didn't make that clear in the letter because I would rather explain it to the referred person when they call. I see where you're coming from though.

Proenterprises, this letter has work well for me in the past. I am revising it this year, but will have much of the same info. It is a personal letter, and the only reason I inform them of what I am doing (college etc) is because I have a great relationship with my customers. Thanks for the positive feedback on it.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just as long as you make it clear ahead of time.