Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2004, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Morin,

If you're set on using clipart then let me make one suggestion.
You may want to use photo-art instead. Same as clipart except actual images.

It will take the cartoon feature out of the flyer. Its very reasonable at only $1.00 per photo object.

I'll attach the link. go to
http://www.hemera.com/image/free_downloads.jsp

then click on photo-objects and enter your keywords.

Here a sample of what you'll find there.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2004, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Service Flyer

Thanks to all for your valuable feedback. It has certainly been a great help in designing a suitable flyer. I have posted the original flyer and the two revisions to my web site and would like to hear everyone’s opinion on my selection. My son likes the third revision.

The price has certainly been a stickler on whether to include it or not. I realize that it will be misleading to some even with the “May Be” but I’m inclined to leave it as is because I feel that it may help “get your foot in the door” as the saying goes. Lots on average around here run 80’ to 90’ wide and 100’ to 150’ deep, with two thirds of that being lawn and $35 being the average asking price to mow, weed eat, edge and blow off sidewalks and driveways. Some are doing it for less but I don’t understand how they are making money and doing a decent job.

It is my plans to print the flyers myself on colored paper with an inkjet printer as I initially only need around 1000 copies. However, I do plan to get a quote from a printer. It is also my plan to personally hand out the flyers by going door to door which will give me an opportunity to introduce myself as well as be more selective on which homes to visit.

I couldn’t agree more on having a color brochure with images of your own work, but for now, starting out small, I can’t see expending the funds. Several of the full color brochures which where done by a professional publisher where excellent.

On the subject of “Lil Old Ladies,” we have quite a few around here, some on low fixed incomes, some on substantial incomes, some widowed, some living with “Lil Old Men.” These ladies still shop at the local grocery store, attend church on Sundays, go to Bible study on Wednesday night and go to the local beauty shop regularly. While there, these ladies talk and gossip. Sometimes the subject comes up of lawn care. If you just happen to be caring for one of these ladies lawns and she is well satisfied with your work, then you can bet that your name will come up when this is mentioned. On the other hand, if she is dissatisfied with your work, your name may or may not come up. If it does come up it will most likely not be a recommendation that is good. Most appreciate all you do for them and will gladly recommend you to a friend or fellow church member. They also will compensate you well . And don’t forget, we all are going to be “Lil Old Ladies” and “Lil Old Men” faster than we wish.

I hope to build my business on my reputation for quality work and customer service. I feel that this is the two most important aspects of any business. I try to go the “extra mile” and do the little things that set me apart from the majority of the competition. So far it has served me well.

Again, “Thanks” to all for your help.

Richard

http://home.earthlink.net/~morin3/lawn4.htm
Old 02-05-2004, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I still think the clipart makes it look like the neighbor kid is going to show up to cut the grass. Pictures like the lady pruning the shrubs and the guy on a rider doesn't give a professional image.

If you have MS publisher, I might be able to help you with your design. I would also think about seeking Gophers help. He won't charge you a lot. Believe me a well designed flier is going to bring you more business, which in return will pay for the flier. Even if you pay someone $40 or so to design it, you can still print it yourself.

I think you have the right idea about running your business. It sounds like you believe in company image, by providing good work. If you apply the same ideas of image into your advertising, you will go far.

If your just looking to pick up another 5-10 customers, then you will probably obtain that goal with your flier. But If you really want to real them in, Spend a few dollars on a designer.

I know you have invested a lot of time and energy into this project. Please don't take my comments the wrong way. I would just like to see you get the best results possible. Handing out 1000 fliers isn't going to happen overnight. A well design flier might get you to reach you goal a lot faster and save you some foot steps.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Re: Lawn Service Flyer

Quote:
Originally posted by morin3

I hope to build my business on my reputation for quality work and customer service. I feel that this is the two most important aspects of any business. I try to go the “extra mile” and do the little things that set me apart from the majority of the competition. So far it has served me well.
Great attitude!!
Old 02-06-2004, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Soupy
A paid $60 to have this designed. it is going to cost me $549 to have 5000 made full color on both sides.

1st side
That looks great Soupy! There's nothing like investing in your company image. Looks like design outpost does pretty good work.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I might as well throw my 2 cents in on this if your purpose is to get people to read your flyers try this " FREE LAWN MOWING" and then in smaller letters try call for details. Then you can set an appointment up and hit them at that time with the details that the Free comes with a yr. contract or its the 10 mow, what ever.
Remenber kiss[keep it simple stupid] it works the fewer words the more intriging to potential customers, which generates calls. Then its up to you to sell yourself.

Mac
Old 02-07-2004, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Soupy
That is a great design the little grass blade with the shades is too cool.When I started my wife wanted me to do something like that with a caricature of myself and grass blades.Great price you got also I think you are going to do very well with it.

Best of luck to you.

www.luxurylawninc.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/LarryN828
Old 02-07-2004, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wells
Thats some good advise and a nice link for anyone who may need it.

www.luxurylawninc.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/LarryN828
Old 02-07-2004, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Soupy,

That door hanger looks awesome. Did you have the folks on designoutpost do it?

Also, someone posted a link to a guy's websight sight on another thread that supposedly had the very best prices on full color door hangers. Where do you get your door hangers printed?

Thanks,
DFW Area Landscaper
Old 02-07-2004, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

DFW, yes, I had it made at Design Outpost. I had my Logo made there too. I also found my Web designer there which is working outside Design Outpost for me. I have also hired the guy that made the door-hanger to do my truck layout, business cards, letterhead, lawn signs, and trailer signs.

The door-hanger and business cards are being printed at http://www.postcardwarehouse.com/index.html 5000 business card full color both sides are $150 + $25 set up. The hangers are 5000 full color both sides for $499 + $50 set up. $60 to ship both which comes to a total of $784.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.