Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2004, 04:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Finding the perfect employee

I know it is hard to find good help. I been in business for about 5 years now and i'm to the point that in order to expand like i want to I need to find good reliable help to keep up with production. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about finding it and then knowing that you made a good choice.

Thanks
Jason
Old 02-06-2004, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi LuebbertLawncare_inc,

Recently I read an article about a LCO that always is trying to recruit talented people, even when they don't need them at the moment. The LCO mentioned how they work with the local colleges to guest speak and when they are doing this, they can see which hort. students would be great additions to their company.
Could you look into this or job fairs at your local colleges?
Old 02-06-2004, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I have checked local job fairs but the colleges in my area don't offer hort. classes. It would be nice to find someone already in the green industry.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is my theory find a person that hasn't cut a blade of grass in his life that way you can train him to do things the way you want them dun. The bottom line is you are the only one who can determine whats right for your comp not sum know it all who is going to tell you how they did things before.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

turnover blows. just when they are trained up and high functioning they leave.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try and recruit someone from another LCO. Find someone who has been working for a while for that LCO but has not moved up the ladder yet. There are plenty out there that are looking for more to do than just being a laborer.
If you don;t need a foreman right away I would go with what hole in one LO says. Find someone that has very little experience and train them to do what you are looking for.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck Jason, every year when I run my ads in the paper I get calls from guys wanting work. When I ask them if they can pass a background check, they usually excuse themselves and hang up.

Theres good ones out there but your going to have to be diligent and thorough when interviewing prospective employees.

What cklands said about recruiting from another lco is good advise. I'm sure you know other guys in the business here that can put you onto a good employee.

You could also look into H2B's.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is a tuff one to do well. Having been in retail most of my life I call only say, if at first you don't succeed, try try again. Do not give up on the search. Never be afraid to say good by to a bad employee. Never let an employee back you into a corner to the point you think you need them more than they need you. Fire them even if it hurts and you have to finish the day alone. It's not pleasant but you will work through it. Your not going to die and your customers will thank you. But for the most part it can be fun. Next year you can tell us what a great guy you found and be looking for ways to keep him when you know you can not. Then there may be the post called " you will not believe what this bozo did today". As long as they don't hurt themselves or you or damage your equipment then most likely they can be trained. Sometimes it is better to hirer someone trainable than trained. If the lco you hirer them from does poor work then, they will think that is how it is done.

good luck
Bill
Old 02-07-2004, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thing is the perfect employee is dependable, motivated, a good communicator with lots of common sense, and people skills. The common sense part screws ya every time because they quickly figure out they can do this on their own and make three times as much. I look at younger people who want to work to get them through school and move on to something else.