Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2014, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Granular fert. w/ spot liquid weed control

Just wondering if any of you guys offer a granular fert. with a spot liquid weed control at the same time? If so , does it have greater potential to harm spots that i spray? too much for grass at a time? Just wondering what some of you all have experienced with it. Thanks
Old 03-04-2014, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Thats how i do it.. No herbicide in the granular..

Are you licensed for treatments? I take it your not by your question

Bucket Truck/Chipper

Landscapes/Hardscapes

7 Trucks
2 Loaders
1 Mini skid steer
A Army of MEN

Old 03-04-2014, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

yes, i got pesticide license in feb. when i showed the guy at john deere landscapes my plan, he said maybe not to do a spot weed control with a granular. he said do the granular then come back next week. i then told him that wouldn't be productive on a route to go back again. i was just seeing if others put down liquid spot w/granular fert.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

The two do not interfere with each other. I've been doing this for years on warm and cool season grass. Just make sure you get straight fert. Not weed and feed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2014, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Confront worked well when we started for a granular herbicide but with in a year or so that was removed and the replacement had little to no effect. So we added a perma green so we could spray as needed and we went from just maintaining lawns with a slight decline to improving them. Spraying from our point of view is absolutely necessary allows us to hit problem areas while not wasting product where its not needed.

Now whether you can do it is going to be the question. Your further south and around 80-90 degrees you will not be able to spray. Sorta the reason we added a 6th step this year to work around the times when heat stress shuts us down on weed spraying.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie86 View Post
yes, i got pesticide license in feb. when i showed the guy at john deere landscapes my plan, he said maybe not to do a spot weed control with a granular. he said do the granular then come back next week. i then told him that wouldn't be productive on a route to go back again. i was just seeing if others put down liquid spot w/granular fert.
dude, your guy at JDL is a moron. for real I wouldn't listen to much he had to say if he really thought you shouldn't do the two at the same time!
Old 03-04-2014, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

You should be fine up to about 80 degrees on non irrigated not in a drought. Maybe 80-85 on irrigated lawns. May brown a little but will bounce back. I wouldn't go spraying the whole yard at those temps but spots are fine. I blanket first app in March April and maybe the second if needed. Spot spray the remainder of the season if needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2014, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys.appreciate your help. @ georgia yes the guy at jd did say that. I already thought it would be ok bc a couple guys around here said so but when i showed it to him he said "he wouldnt advise me to do that"

SO when temps are a little above 80, you all think it would be fine for spot?
Blanket only when it is 80 and under? should the weather be consistently above 80 not to do blanket weed control? what about a blanket in oct if the weather is in the 60s? also how cold can it be for me to spot spray? i know i have alot of questions , but im just trying to learn. I ve read the material and have talked to different ppl and some differ on what they do. I haven't had experience doing liquid herbicide so i just want to learn more and more. thanks
Old 03-04-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was just as worried about burning someones lawn as you are about a yr and half ago. I understand. It all depends on what youre putting down. Like a 3way product with surf is pretty hot. but if you spray metsulfron you can spray it at .5 oz per acre with no burn at 90 degrees but 3 way will smoke a lawn at 90 degrees. Or quinclorac is fine at 90 as long as we are not in a drought. So each product is different. You really just gotta get out there and learn by doing. I over sprayed MSM (metsulfron) in june when it was 90. I freaked out. No burn, no problems. I sprayed quinclorac at 90 degrees no problem then over sprayed it alittle at 90 and it burnt and recovered in a week. see, theres no set temp. you just gotta get experience. Everything I just said I sprayed on Bermuda that's the only grass I treat. Don't go spraying MSM on fescue because you wont burn it but you will kill it. Lots to learn. If you treat Bermuda and want some help pm me your # ill be happy to answer any questions you have. Im busy right now but I will talk and help you when I can. take care good luck
Old 03-05-2014, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Member

ok I appreciate that. Mostly fescue here. I'm looking forward to the lawn care season this year. Thanks for your input. i hope and believe that as i continue to go along i will keep learning