Register free!

Old 08-01-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Question about flight control

I have a property that wants to try this. My question is can I apply it around the lakes where they congregate and not the whole property? I don't want to just drive them up around the buildings and have the residents pissed. It's About 20 acres. 20, 10 unit buildings. But only 2 lakes which is of course where they congregate.

They of course seem to come in and feed by the lakes so I could just put it down in areas where the feces is concentrated? Also how often do you apply? Seems like some day weekly, some say twice a year. No way the budget would allow weekly, 2-3 times a year maybe. So since I'm starting late, now, fall and late winter/early spring?

Thanks!

Z
Old 08-01-2013, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can try just around the lakes, not sure how well that would work. I would explain this to the customer that you are trying to save them money, but can't guarantee it will work. We've just done the entire lawn, but not 20 acres.

How long it lasts depends on the weather, irrigation, growth rate, etc. Generally a good month at least unless you get a massive downpour.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

zspeed,
I am subscribed to this thread as i would love to know how this stuff works.
Our city has a medium sized lake of 25 acres and the inlets were designed for natural geese habitats. The migration of more geese has become a problem to the inhabitants of the lake now. There is no longer swimming because of the feces left and possible disease from contamination. The city regrets building this site for natural migration and is advising citizens not to feed the ducks, geese, coots, etc. Talk about building a idol and then accusing those who worship it.
Sometimes, thought goes out the window when tax money is concerned........not a simple person on the city planning commission board thought this one through.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't make any guarantee's with that stuff, you have a 50/50 chance of success if it doesn't rain or you mow it off. The only thing that really work's is a border collie that can harass those bird's 24/7/365. And dedicated working dog's like that cost 4-5K. I wish i didn't know anything about geese but i've been fighting those crap machine's for 30 year's and the geese are still winning. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A country club I once worked at BOUGHT $20,000 worth of geese at $500 a pop in about 1980. Been trying since 1981 to get rid of them. There are a lot of laws protecting them so be careful.

I once move more than 100 off a baseball field I rebuilt. I put a loud AM radio on 2nd base blaring Sean Hannity. Geese moved farther out beyond infield arc. Next day I set the radio about ten steps farther out. Kept moving it every day and in a week they were gone.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"Protected by law" is the truth. In NC you can hunt "one" per year, otherwise they are a federally protected specie's and it's a big felony to hurt a goose.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I put down my first app Yesterday. I went with the high end 1/gal per acre. I actually went with 3 oz/gal in my backpack which is a touch higher. I did from the lakeshore about 20ft out. then went into the areas they tend to graze in as they move about. Put down about 2/3 gal total.

Its a large complex but the lakes are cut off by a lot off pavement so I hope it works and does not just force them in front of the residents units to graze

Next time I will use my permagreen. The manufacture says this is not preferred as it will squeegee off of the grass blades but I don't see how its any different from pesticide? I also used 2oz per back pack of spreader sticker as recommended. I will report back in a week or so.

Z
Old 08-16-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

After my last post i remembered a method i read about, it's not for everybody though, I think the average cost was $8000. They round up the geese when their molting (shedding old and growing new feather's) and can't fly, put them in the a large trailer and haul them to the wetland's in the mid-west. It's supposed to work pretty well.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zspeed130 View Post
Well, I put down my first app Yesterday. I went with the high end 1/gal per acre. I actually went with 3 oz/gal in my backpack which is a touch higher. I did from the lakeshore about 20ft out. then went into the areas they tend to graze in as they move about. Put down about 2/3 gal total.

Its a large complex but the lakes are cut off by a lot off pavement so I hope it works and does not just force them in front of the residents units to graze

Next time I will use my permagreen. The manufacture says this is not preferred as it will squeegee off of the grass blades but I don't see how its any different from pesticide? I also used 2oz per back pack of spreader sticker as recommended. I will report back in a week or so.

Z
I'm not sure if you will get enough volume out of the pg. I spray out of my z spray at 3/4 gallon per 1000. I used the jd9 gun before the z spray with good results as well.

I always use the 1 gallon rate with good results. I have tried to go with the 1/2 gallon rate with
Ok results.

What spreader sticker did you use?
Old 08-16-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have you tried those radio controlled model cars and model jeeps? Fun to drive and you need a couple 12 yr old kids to spend a few hours out there.

Have you tried the string method? Its is where you string a string about 6 inches high like a low fence blocking access to the water. They can't jump and don't like to fly.

I am not sure how to train your dog to chase geese--but it would sure be worth a try. Can your dog find the spring nests by smell? So you can take the eggs. Substituting dead eggs.
Don't they have any natural enemies? Fox, coyote...raccoons might eat their eggs. Can you get an alligator?
Be sure to try some firecrackers from time to time.