Register free!

Old 06-13-2014, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn app pricing small yards vs big yards

This is my second year doing treatments. Most of my accounts i have are existing mowing clients that i took over and just gave them the same price they were paying before. The yards are small (under 10k) so i get how to price the smaller yards.
That being said ive got a 16k, 22.5k, 33.5k yards wanting estimates and im not sure of what kind of pricing people have for the bigger yards.
Im not asking for your exact pricing but ballpark figures would be helpful. Also a general pricing structure would be helpful. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2014, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We charge by the 1000s
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnForceOne View Post
This is my second year doing treatments. Most of my accounts i have are existing mowing clients that i took over and just gave them the same price they were paying before. The yards are small (under 10k) so i get how to price the smaller yards.
That being said ive got a 16k, 22.5k, 33.5k yards wanting estimates and im not sure of what kind of pricing people have for the bigger yards.
Im not asking for your exact pricing but ballpark figures would be helpful. Also a general pricing structure would be helpful. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
first could you explain what your "lawn app" is?
what is it your treating for?
Old 06-14-2014, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I am doing a 5 round lawn treatment program. Pre emergent first round and fertilizer each round. Blanket app of weed control spring and fall and spot spray as needed on all others. Using 3 way weed control with triclopyr added as needed. Turf is kbg, pr, and ttf blend.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2014, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Read labels. 3-way is only used twice a year!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

to be honest, no one but you can or should answer your ?

they way i did it years ago was to figure out all my Direct costs involved
in making my applications to a property for the year. i then figured the amount of time roughly it takes to do each application. i also figured a hourly labor charge i was comfortable with (which covers profit and indirect expenses)---- i then did this calculation for a 5k lawn, 10k lawn, 20 k lawn,30k lawn etc.. up to 90k lawn. i totaled all treatments for year divided by 5( 5 step program)
and bill and the average.

now is where you use your computer skills and start to make a price sheet in
excel or similar. u have ur prior calculations for incremental lawn sizes already---now you can extrapolate all the in between footages by dividing your total by the sq footage (i go by thousands as mentioned by others) i use the 20 k figure to calculate down to 11k and 10 k figure down to 6 k etc.., and on the 5 k figure you will need to decide on a set minimum for small lawn.

so for example only--
you figure the 20k lawn is going to cost you $250 in direct cost for the program for year. you figure it will take you roughly 5 man hours to do the 5 treatment program for the year. you figured your labor rate at $75 / hour
20k lawn:
5 x 75 = $375 + 250 = $625 year
so now you want to figure a 19k lawn,
625 / 20 = 31.25
31.25 x 19 = $593.75

then you can bill how you please -- per treatment, monthly, prepay, etc...

now this is just baseline formula that you could try and adjust to your needs.

i also created a difficulty scale for my properties 0 - 13 ( broken down by a list difficulties / 1 piont for each), which each point increases price. you will find that estimating based on sq footage alone
may be inadequate in many situations

this is merely a suggsstion with artificial figures, hopefully other can chime in on their methods. g/l
Old 06-16-2014, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Above is good advice and this site he helped me a lot. However you sound like your about the same size as me. One big thing I would suggest, if you plan to continue to grow I would NOT do app only customers. I took on some and now feel a bit obligated and would like to drop them . Fitting them in with so much else going on and timing being so important they are nothing but a hassle. I also made he mistake of pricing them the Same as those that I mowed. I can do the lawns I mow cheaper because I am already there weekly. I am not dirt cheap or anything but since I can sell a 5-6 app program I don't mind being a little cheaper than the competition that only treats. My lawns also generally look better at trouble times. I spot treat with my back pack leading up to the first broadleaf. Which helps immensely. I can also control when and how much fert to put down. I use high iron and I go heavy with my second spring app. All
So I try to time the third app before he rain really goes away (as it usually does) this gets me in my estimation 2-3 more mows a season and keep the customers lawn looking better. I know you didn't ask for all this info.

A standard neighborhood size lawn (1/4-1/3 acre) goes for about $55(about $10 cheaper than my competition) I have a few lawns that are older and more mature and somewhat shaded, les fert, less spot treating, they are around an acre and I am in the $100 range. Some get chart more if I have to backpack several areas because of flowers and vegetables. There are a lot of variables. Most of these customers are not "high end" but I do virtually everything outside, mow, treat, stick and leaf cleanups, seed after a bad year etc. I don't mind a slightly lower price on treatments. They are happy with a level bow perfection.

I have some customers that want perfection and I charging deliver. On average 25% higher than the standard couple that wants a nice yard but not one hat looks like they are out working in it every evening and weekend.

Just my .02+ again, I would strongly recommend against treat only customers, if they are next door to a weekly customer it's not bad, but if that weekly customer drops you, moves etc, your trying to get there when your dealing with the rainiest part of the season and it just isn't worth the trouble, I keep cards in my truck for a local independent as I want to support a local business, when someone asks for treatments only I recommend them. I know they do a good job and are reasonably priced for he quality they provide.