Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2005, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

In Idaho, you do not need a license to apply fertilizer. However, if you are doing this as a paid service (especially spraying liquids), I would strongly suggest that you license to protect yourself (and the industry).
Old 03-07-2005, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

licensing in 2 states

i have a lawn and landscape company directly on stateline road. naturally that means i have plenty of business in two states. i am adding spraying and fertilizing to our list of services. i have no experience with pre-emergents, herbicides, and barely any with just round up around my house. what do i need to do to get experience with it for my license. is there any way besides working for someone else to get experience with it. i make entirely to much money to start working again and especially for someone else. i need experience fast. are there any classes i can take or something to do in order to get what i need. my customers are practically begging me to take care of all of their needs. the license test is in 1 month and i know i can study and pass the test i just need to be able to take it. without experience they will not accept my application. thanks. hubb44.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hubb,
I feal your pain with the experiance issue. I could never work for somone again, and I am not at the point to hire a full timer with 2 yrs experiance to do my applications.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't you guys ever network with local trade members? You can get a lot more help doing it that way. I have helped others locally get their licenses with novel arrangements approved by our state regulatory office. Basically, you could work for me part time for a couple of years on just the applications on a few of your own properties, or you could hire me part time to work as an applicator for your business for a couple of years (second option, me work for you, is not available in my state). We work together on the apps.

The guys I helped made nothing during the training time, I got all the revenue. So it cost them some time, and cost me a little extra time. But today they are making it all for themselves, and we each have someone as a reserve if we need help on anything. Best of all, we are great friends, instead of competitors. If you think education should not cost you, then you're never gonna learn much.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm the new kid on the block

Really appreciate all of the great advice, I've spent hours and hours reading this site. Here's my question, in Michigan do we need a license to apply just fertilizer, and secondly a weed and feed. If someone could point me in the right directionm either with website info or anything, I would be grateful
Old 04-30-2005, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Creek Lawn Care
Really appreciate all of the great advice, I've spent hours and hours reading this site. Here's my question, in Michigan do we need a license to apply just fertilizer, and secondly a weed and feed. If someone could point me in the right directionm either with website info or anything, I would be grateful
No license necessary for straight fert. Weed and Feed - yes, you need a license. www.michigan.gov/mda

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 05-11-2005, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. I think it is important to have anyone applying chemicals to our environment to be certified.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

isnt roundup and other weed killers a herbicide not a pesticide.do you still need a license.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if its a restricted use pesticide you have to have a license to use it or even buy it. so im thinking most store bought pesticide are not restricted use. anyone can buy them and use them
Old 07-28-2005, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

All herbicides are pesticides. All insecticides are pesticides. All fungicides are pesticides. "pesticides" is an umbrella term. All sub category chemicals (herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, etc) fall under the umbrella of "pesticide".

Store bought pesticides are classified as "general use" pesticides. You need a license to apply. "restricted use" pesticides are pesticides that will cause harm to the environment, even if they are applied properly and according to label directions. You need a license to purchase these chemicals.

In over 22 years in this business, I have never ran across an issue where a "restricted use" pesticide was necessary. I'm not saying there are instances where they may be necessary, I'm just saying that I, personally, have never seen one.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill