Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2007, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i know i will get flamed for saying this, but sometimes the laws are full of sh#t, the only pesticide i ever use is roundup and i know that i have to have a license for it, but i not going to waste my time right now going for the test just to get permission to spray a little roundup on a few sidewalks and driveways, when walmart and homedepot sell millions of gallons a day of the stuff to homeowners who dont read the label
now i will apply for my license when i start getting heavy in that side of the work, but come on guys how it not like we are taking bags of weed and feed and dumping them in a pond or lake or pouring roundup down the sink drain, hell i wont spray even if there is a slight wind blowing. i just had to vent a little
Old 09-24-2007, 04:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at the State of Texas site and could not find where it is illegal to apply fertilizer without a license. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I when I was reading about licensing it kept mentioning "pest-control" so I would assume fertilizer does not apply unless it has weedkiller in it?

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 10-17-2007, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can find where the word glyphosate or round up is mentioned any where on any state website. The only thing to go by is that it's a general use pesticide and to do that professionally you need a license.

Where in the process of aquiring a license (studying). I really doubt and inspector would follow someone around for spraying round up but you never know.

[Glyphosate is one of a number of herbicides used by the United States government to spray Colombian coca fields through Plan Colombia. Its health effects, effects on legal crops, and effectiveness in fighting the war on drugs have been widely disputed.]

I wonder if they have a license? or do you need it to raid another country.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post
I looked at the State of Texas site and could not find where it is illegal to apply fertilizer without a license. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I when I was reading about licensing it kept mentioning "pest-control" so I would assume fertilizer does not apply unless it has weedkiller in it?
I think you're wrong. It's been a few years, but I could swear that fertilizer balances the Ph levels in your soil which is done specifically to prevent weeds from feeding off the acidic soil and promote healthy grass. Again, it's been awhile, but from my recollection fertilizer IS A PESTICIDE.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I am new to the site, good info thanks!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

From what I read, maybe Im wrong but it said you had to licensed for restricted pesticides. What about thoes you can buy at lowes?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkhart Lawn Care View Post
From what I read, maybe Im wrong but it said you had to licensed for restricted pesticides. What about thoes you can buy at lowes?
If you apply ANY pesticide commercially. Commerically means that you are for hire. If you go to Lowes, buy a jug of weed killer off the shelf for $15, go home and mix it, drive down the street and spray Mrs. Jone's dandelions, you need a license. That goes for non restricted use pesticides. Even round-up! If you want to spray weeds growing along the curb for a customer.. YOU NEED A LICENSE!

And the post earlier about fertilizer being a "Pesticide". What are you smoking? Is there a label on a bag of fertilizer that has procedures and recommended rates and MSDS stuff and numbers to call in case you get it in your eye? Since when is pH a pest anyways? Jeeze.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroher View Post
If you apply ANY pesticide commercially. Commerically means that you are for hire. If you go to Lowes, buy a jug of weed killer off the shelf for $15, go home and mix it, drive down the street and spray Mrs. Jone's dandelions, you need a license. That goes for non restricted use pesticides. Even round-up! If you want to spray weeds growing along the curb for a customer.. YOU NEED A LICENSE!
e.

How` about if you recommend to Mrs Jones a fertilize brand and if they go buy it themselves you spread it for them and charge the labor for application only, is it legal?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTPRODR View Post
How` about if you recommend to Mrs Jones a fertilize brand and if they go buy it themselves you spread it for them and charge the labor for application only, is it legal?
Nope. If it's a pesticide, it's NOT legal.

"Licensed Pesticide APPLICATOR" If you are APPLYING a pesticide, you need a license.

That's the law, whether you want to believe that there is a gray area as what constitutes needing a license (ie. spraying round-up in sidewalk cracks), explain it to the DEP inspector when you get stopped. Will you ever get stopped? Probably not. Does the DEP care you're spraying sidewalk cracks with round-up? Probably not. But you need a license to apply a pesticide commercially. That's a fact, not my opinion.

Last edited by mkroher; 11-19-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

NY Certification

Well, a good day for me.... I am a NYS DEC certified pesticide technician. If anyone has any questions about how it works in NYS, ask me in a PM so I don't miss it. Took the test about 7 hours ago. It was a new version. I took the 30 hour class, and put in about 60 hours of study time. I'm a pretty good test taker, and got a 90 on both the CORE and 3A,3b categories, if that gives you a handle on how much work/study is needed.

My instructor was right... if you just take the class and don't study, you will fail. The fail rate in NY state wide is 45%. My instructor says his classes have a 85% pass rate. Well, five out of about 40 failed the CORE test (all from my class) and I don't know how many failed the category test, but that was the more difficult of the two. I'll take a stab and guess that only about 28 out of about 40 passed this test on the 29th. There were some tough questions.

Not to scare anyone either, I could have picked which 5 were going to fail the CORE. The ones that nodded off, didn't take notes and obviously didn't study. I can still remember some of the tougher questions, so ask now, before I forget!