Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-10-2004, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Looking to buy over the cab. Opinions Wanted

We just got rid of a 94 GMC gas guzling stake body. Now we want to purchase a more gas efficient more mobile lawn dump truck. Other companys around here have the Izusus.We presently pull a 12 ft. open trailer loaded with Skaggs-Great Danes ect. and use the truck to dump clippings ect. At times it might haul small loads of mulch ect. but we have other trucks for that. Any opinions on what company(Isuzu, ect) and where to look. What are the biggest diferences with an over the cab compared to a GMC or Ford Stake bodiesThanks Harry
Old 02-10-2004, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I mean cabover. See I need all the help I can get-lol
Old 02-15-2004, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, the Japanese cabovers aren't nearly as durable as the American trucks. They may be cheaper, but I wouldn't even touch one myself. The Isuzus, etc. they would wear out pretty quickly. that is was told to me secondhand from somebody who used to own a few Mitsubishi Fusos, but quickly replaced them b/c they wore out and broke down too much. Now all of his 250 units are American trucks, no cabovers. They are either International, Mack, or Peterbuilt.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, there junk. That's why you don't see many around.
n1alx,
Do a search on this site or do some other research on the net and get a few more opinions, you may change your mind. Never take one persons word for fact.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOL........................
Old 02-16-2004, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i looked at both and have driven both
i like the fords but they r hard to turn tight
that is where the cabovers rule
just remember the cabovers only come with 4 cyl in the smaller trucks so get the biggest engine u can get
the Isuzu's also come with a Chevy 350
Old 02-16-2004, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought a Mitsubishi -I test drove a Isuzu and liked the Mitsubishi better-It is a 5 speed with a low dumpbody I can build up to my specs-it is a demo model 2000 with 1500 miles on it-cd player-hitch- trailer light plug and a real nice self retracting tarp set up-deisel- I was real happy with the price-$27500-It was on the lot so I took it. I know what you mean about not alot of power -It will only go 70 mph-empty-but I have other trucks (Ford) that can handle heavy hauling. They gave me the 3 year guaranty(as if it was new), and are giving it a complete maintenance service. I am located in south jersey(flat as a pancake) if i was in a hilly location I do not think I would have bought this truck. Thanks for your input. Ask me how I like it in 2 months or better yet 2 years-Harry
Old 02-16-2004, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello Dusty, and Harry. That lack of power issue doesn't hold true with all of these trucks. I don't want people reading this to be mislead. My 99 Isuzu NPR held 80 MPH coming from Memphis, all the way back home to Columbus, OH. 10 hour drive, and not a single problem with it not doing a thing I asked it to do, whether I was on a hill, or not. It has plenty of power, and will do 80 loaded, or not. I can't speak up for Mitsis on this, because I've never tried doing this in one, but the newer NPR's sure don't have a lack of power.

Vic
Old 02-16-2004, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Vic-Thanks for your response-I know the Mitsu-fe-sf maxed out at 70-75 (Started redlining the tach)Maybe it can reach 80. But I will be using more for city driving so no need to go that fast. Thanks Harry
Old 02-16-2004, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll love that ruck Harry

You'll wonder how you ever lived without it once you start running your routes with it. That's great that you got it!

Vic