Old 02-18-2004, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oops, here it is

Mike
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2004, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Mike

I really like your setup Mike. How long have you had it, and do you know how much our NPRs are rated to tow? I tried asking a dealer in my area, but he didn't know the difference between GVW, and GCVW. He told me that my NPR HD, and anything it's towing should weigh no more than 14, 500lbs. I had to explain to him that that was how much the truck could safely weigh, and that it didn't include trailer weight. No one in the service dept. knew, and they transfered me up to this worthless salesman, who gave me the bad info. I still am trying to find out this simple answer.

Vic
Old 02-18-2004, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Vic,
I called Isuzu directly and was told that I could fill my payload capacity internally and still be able to tow up to 5000 lbs. My trailer and mowers weigh in at around 3900 lbs and I've had not a problem. Have had this setup for over 3 years now. There are some days that I would really love a ramp for the truck for when I want to aerate without hauling a trailer around, or just when I go out by myself to mow with one mower. Would like to try the ramp setup that Lowes has on their delivery trucks but don't think I can fit it all under the box body. Or maybe a system like Load Pro has where the ramp disapears under the sub floor. I will probably experiment with some welding in the next month prior to the season. Thanks and I love your setup!!! I've attached the Lowes truck pic.

Mike
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2004, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you're hauling grass clippings, mulch and other light stuff you'll be fine with that truck. But I have to wonder why you're so concerned with doing 70-80 mph. These are not sports cars.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Henry-I am not really concerned with the speed thing. It is just that I am used to my turbocharged Fords that give you so much more horsepower-Harry
Old 03-01-2004, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

No need to give the DOT another reason to pull you over (doing 80 in a cabover). These trucks are great. You can haul more equipment than you can use for one crew, get better fuel mileage, and turn circles around (make that inside) an outfront truck. I have the inline 6 diesel with the Allison auto. tranny on a FRR. It's not fast, but it is strong and very dependable. Why do you think Chevy wised up and started using the Duramax (Isuzu) diesel w/ the Allison tranny...Good luck.
'04 Rolls Rite 25' 25000# pintle flatbed trailer
'95 Isuzu 18'FRR enclosed box truck
'00 Ford F350 crew cab lwb 4x4 diesel dually w/3 yard flatbed 10000# dump & 2 auxiliary saddle tanks w/pump
Old 03-02-2004, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

We've been installing bodies on these trucks for years and here's my two cents. Most owners of these trucks have a few things in common. First, they all tend to have a small fleet of 3-10 trucks and have very carefully studied purchase price, maneuverability, cost of operation, resale, etc. Second, they all switched from conventionals to cabovers and lastly, I've never met one that will go back to conventionals unless they have gvw or horsepower needs that exceed what's available from the imports. We mount bodies on a lot of used trucks and they seem to hold up pretty well. I will say that these trucks seem to be abused more than the conventionals. Not sure why though. Mitsu seems to have the best dealer network from what I've seen.

craig
Old 03-02-2004, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I didnt check where you are from but...................

If you are doing snow plowing of any kind - do not buy the Isuzu cabover!

I have owned a 99 Isuzu NPR HD w/5.7 gas (I know should have gone diesel) with a 10' dump/stakebody. Great summer truck and good salt truck (5 yard V box) but when it comes to snow plowing - the truck will not stick to pavement in 2"+ snow events (even with adequate weight???)

Long story short - blew out 2 rear ends(not transmissions-rear ends)both blew with well under 25,000 miles on the truck. Warranty coverage was NOT satisfactory!

Although I like the cab over concept, I NEED reliabilty for lawn and snow operations.

All Ford trucks now. F-350+, 4x4's and all have Powerstroke Diesels.

ChicagoSnow
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2004, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

My 2 cents....for what it's worth. I'd recommend a cabover truck to anyone doing work in metro areas where turning radius is important. Also, who cares if a dump truck can go 80 miles an hour any way. If my employees were driving my dump truck that fast, they'd be fired. I look at it this way, if the truck can only go 65 miles/hr, it's got it's own built in regulator on it. My 1999 Mitsubishi Fuso FK will easily go over 85mph. Had it on cruise control at 65mph all the way from NY to Maryland and never had to shift out of 5th gear. The truck was empty though.

My FUSO is no toy. It's got a 23,000gvw. We went to the quarry one day and the guy driving the big loader must have been half drunk or something. We asked for 5 tons of gravel and he dropped 15 tons on our truck...... Got to the scale at the quarry and were shocked at how much was on the truck. These are true work trucks. The F-450/550 are nice, but they are basically just beefy pickup frames. My partner was all about Ford, but now only wants the Mitsubishi Cab-Overs. We'll probably look to equip our future crews with Mitsubishi Fuso FH because the bigger ones are only 2 seaters. With a 3 man crew, that doesn't work. We'll keep the bigger truck as a utility for the company to do larger deliveries.

You will start seeing less and less landscape companies using the Internationals, Ford 650's, Chevy 650 and switching to the cabover. Why would FORD all of a sudden decide to bring out their new line of cab-overs later this fall. The market is shifting to the slightly smaller trucks and smart/savy owners will see the advantages.

By the way, Mitsubishi has the FG model which has 4 wheel drive. Best medium size plow truck around. Will out plow any Ford, Chevy, etc.... because of the turning radius alone. It has a much higher ground clearance also....

I'v attached a picture of my Mitsubishi Fuso FK. I bought it used this past January for $25,000. It only had 29,000 miles on it. We just need to get the aqua green body repainted dark blue or black.
Attached Images