Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2004, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The infra-red weeder is the tool I tested but if it works the way you say it works my friend did not give me an adequate demonstration.
We poked it into a weed and heard the hissing sound. Seconds later the weed looked the same. I asked my friend if it has already done everything its going to do and he said yes. If in fact the weed dies by starvation he would have been incorrect and i would have to have checked the weed the following days. Also, the tip of the tool is so hot that you see a red flame glow out of it at times. I asked if it could be a fire hazard and he said yes. I dismissed the usefulness of the tool at that point. In addition he said that he had tested it in the field with lackluster results but again, he may not have understood how it works.
btw I have ordered a lot from Rittenhouse and they are very good. Got my Lesco spreader and Kelway tester and other stuff i cant get in my small city from them. Plz keep us posted as to the results you get from this innovative tool.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what do benificial micro-organisms eat? Organic matter or sugars from grass roots? I think we know that they consume organic matter and convert it into food for plants. Do we know the realationship is symbiotic in this way?
Old 02-15-2004, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

GLB thanks for the link
Old 02-15-2004, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

There are a multitude of different microorganisms each doing its part in the foodweb. The sugars are a signal as well as a food source. Not all of the organisms consume the sugars and not all of the organisms consume the organic matter. Each is a link in a chain. With out one the chain is broken. But it appears the ones that like the sugars will work for it in a sense by converting the organics by consuming them or other microorganism which contain converted organics. Thus earning say nitrogen to pay for the sugar. I know this currency analogy is awkward.
You must remember that I am not expert in understanding this as well and am only just beginning my research and have done no practical tests and would not begin to proclaim any authority in this matter.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Try 2b,
It can take days for the weed to die and you should have inspected that one weed later to see if it was dead. Also you can super heat the element, turnoff the flame, and then place it on the weed thus reducing fire hazard. But this again is conjecture as we have never used one. If it does work then I will post my results in May.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
GLAWNBOY states "The latest research does indicate that the microbes do hold the nutrients for the plants and it is the microbes that exchange the nutrients directly to the plants roots"

I DISAGREE THAT MICROBES HOLD THE NUTRIENTS FOR THE PLANT, BUT THE MICROBES DO PLAY A PART IN THE ROOT TO NUTRIENT EXCHANGE!

GLAWNBOY states "The plants secrete sugars through their roots when they need nutrients with the "Hope?" or Understanding that the microbes in the soil will take it. The microbes pass along converted nutrients to the plants while populating space that pathogenic life would otherwise occupy.

MY RESEARCH states " THE OUTER COATING OF THE GROWING ROOT TIP, CALLED THE MUCIGEL, IS A GELATINOUS SUBSTANCE SECRETED BY THE ROOT AND A RICH MASS OF MICROBES AND CHEMICAL NUTRIENTS THAT CONNECTS THE PLANT TO THE LIFE OF THE SOIL."

TRY2B ORGANIC ASK "what do benificial micro-organisms eat?

MY RESEARCH STATES "GROWING ROOTS ARE ALSO CONTINUALLY SLOUGHING OFF DEAD TISSUE, AN EXCELLENT FOOD FOR MICROBES.
tHE MICROBES OF THE SOIL COMMUNITY NEED FOOD, WATER, AND AIR TO CARRY OUT THEIR ACTIVITIES. A BASIC DIET OF PLENTY OF ORGANIC MATTER (OM) ENOUGH MOISTURE, AND WELL AERATED SOIL WILL KEEP THEIR POPULATION THRIVING.
THE MICROBES THRIVE ON OM WITH A BALANCE RATIO OF @25-30 PARTS CARBON TO 1 PART NITROGEN.
cARBON, IN THE FORM OF CARBOHYDRATES, IS THE MAIN COURSE OF FOOD FOR MICROBES"
IN THE LONG TERM, CARBON IS THE ULTIMATE FUEL FOR ALL SOIL BIOLOGICAL ACTIVITY, AND THERE FORE OF HUMAS FORMATION AND PRODUCTIVITY.

Now glawnboy, their have been several question I have ask, but I haven't all questions answered?
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 02-16-2004, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: D/FW MID-CITIES: Richland Hills, North Richland Hills, Southlake, Colleyville, Bedford, Hurst, Euless and Keller
David [Dchall_San_Antonio],

Just a note to say THANK YOU for the message clarification. This is why I spend at minimum 30 minutes each night here at LawnSite.com - to get GOOD INFORMATION!

Again, many thanks!

-=KC=-

At the end of the day you should play back the tapes of your performance. The results should either applaud you or prod you, and you must get good at one of two things: planting in the spring or begging in the fall.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does organic fertilizer or compost fertilizer like Seasoil (fish and forest fines) come closer to making up what you describe as what benificial microbes like to eat?

Also, are u saying that benificial micro organisms feed the grass and ask for nothing in return, or do they then, in the mucicel, get sugar from the roots?
Old 02-18-2004, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
trying 2b organic,

I'm sure you have seen rbuckwalter post on 2/16/04 in ORGANICS, IS IT THE BEST.

yOU FEED the soil, carbon is the food for microbes, seldom would you need to add microbes! Microbes need carbon, water, and air to exist
The sugar, carbohydrates, contain carbon!
A chemist definition of organic is anything having a carbon.
The microbes convert the nitrogen into a usable form for the plant
The microbes don't get sugar from the ROOTS.
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 02-19-2004, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the moderator has said the microorganisms hold food for the plants. This way the plant has access to food when it needs it and in the correct amount. This avoids the rush then starvation period of synthetics. You are the best one for explaining things in a way i can understand, plz explain in laymans terms how the microorganism supplies a steady and ideal diet.
Ok, microorganisms eat carbon and poop N. And this is natures own feeding program, inherently superior to anything we can immitate. yes? are micro organisms left out of the loop with synthetics, i gather they are, that in fact thier numbers become less and less every yr that the soil gets synth fert and chem pesticides until the soil is "dead" and the grass plants weak and dependent.