Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2004, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Connecting to...

At the bottom of the browser page when I'am on lawnsite.com it reads" connecting to statscounter.gotdns.org" and the hour glass is next to the cursor,what is this?.It is slowing down the site for me.This is the only webpage or forum it states this at,any idea?
Old 02-12-2004, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It comes from code written into the site that allows the site administrators to track who comes on their site, when they come how oftern they come etc.

Most sites have webtrackers written into them. Essentially they place a small piece of code into their website, when someone visits lawnsite, that small piece of code is executed and your public details (ip address, browser, operating system, referrer, page title and url etc) are analysed and stored.

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping Blog
Old 02-12-2004, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey BigEd, I was just about to ask the same thing. I'm using a cable modem and have noticed some problems here, even some page display syntax errors in the php programming. Something seems to have changed lately. Perhaps you have your cookies turned off like me, and that could be causing problems with this webtracker (spyware?).

I sincerely hope that LawnSite doesn't advocate the use of spyware in an attempt to sell and to supply their sponsors with user's personal information.

www.statscounter.dns.org looks pretty sleezy. Hopefully that site isn't the same as godns.org.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Critical Care
Hey BigEd, I was just about to ask the same thing. I'm using a cable modem and have noticed some problems here, even some page display syntax errors in the php programming. Something seems to have changed lately. Perhaps you have your cookies turned off like me, and that could be causing problems with this webtracker (spyware?).

I sincerely hope that LawnSite doesn't advocate the use of spyware in an attempt to sell and to supply their sponsors with user's personal information.

www.statscounter.dns.org looks pretty sleezy. Hopefully that site isn't the same as godns.org.
No, we don't user 'spyware' in ANY attempt to collect or supply personal information to anyone... Your privacy is a number one priority and that is serious.

I do know this! today I removed that code from the footer and plowsite.com got its speed back.

I will email this to Pierre so he can explain.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Critical Care

Also, you listed site .. www.statscounter.dns.org . This is NOT our counter domain!!!

The stats counter LS is using is at http://statscounter.gotdns.org

BIG difference... entirely differnet.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Admin / Tech

StatsCounter is a web-based counter that I programmed last summer. It is planned for public release eventually, but is currently in its beta testing phase and LawnSite is serving as a beta tester.

What it does is that it collects some details about visits (page requested, time, IP address, browser, OS...) so that we can see navigation patterns and see how the site could be improved from that. It can also help to determine the number of daily pageviews the site gets, for example, in order to let sponsors know about that. Nearly all the information that StatsCounter collects is already present in our server logs, but StatsCounter presents it in a more comprehensive manner. No really private information is collected - as I said, all is either included in HTTP requests or gotten from JavaScript code (screen resolution and color depth) - and we do not sell user-specific data to sponsors, so this clearly is not a spyware.

AS for the problem with pages not fully loading, it was due to the connection to the StatsCounter server being down. It is back up now, and everything should work fine.

Please note that although your browser might have indicated that the page was not fully loaded, everything but StatsCounter was, so you did not need to wait to view the site.

I apologize for the inconvenience - everything should be back to normal now.

Do not hesitate to let me know if you need anything else.

Pierre-Luc
Old 02-12-2004, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Everything looks and seems good,thanks for the quick reply.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:12 AM

The forum is running lightening fast today. I can't remember when it has ever run this fast on my old dialup
Old 02-13-2004, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Uh huh, things seem to be working better, now that the statscounter server is back up.

Yesterday, however, I did run across a page error that displayed ďsyntax error on line 3Ē in the php code. The only problem I saw today, so far, has been the downloading of Jim Lewisís passionmaterials.com banner. Probably that server being overloaded as wellÖ

Upon my initial visit to LawnSite today, I did notice that IE blocked the cookies from statscounter. My security was set at medium high. Since then Iíve lowered it down to medium and have not seen them blocked.

I suppose that I get a little jumpy about privacy, since itís such a problem today. In my innocent days, after downloading a dvx demo player, I ended up with GATOR spyware on my system. Kept wondering what it was that was downloaded onto my computer, and so I researched the Internet and woke up to reality.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just as an addendum to this, now that Iím sorta aware of it, there are other banners or jpg links that users have for their signatures that fail to load. One was a link to superford.org. Leave it to a Ford to be dead, eh? Anyway, it seems that with things trying to load in the background that something has to give in the performance department.