Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-16-2004, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Great Dane

Went to the Dane dealer in Indy todat and checked them out. I learned a lot about the mower, but I just don't know, they are salty.... I saw the Super Surfer 52" w/23hp Kaw for 6399.00
My biggest problem is with the small step you have to stand on. Any Dane guys/gals out there that have driven it, would have today, but too cold in indy ( per dealer )? I am looking for a great frontline for this spring and then use my current commercial as b/u, jic. I know everyone has thier own opin on mowers so concider this can o'worms opened up again LOL! BY the way buddy of mine just got a 52 Scap w/b w/100hrs for $3500 I say good deal, any else?

"If it is on fire or bleeding I can usually fix it, other than that we might be in trouble"
Old 02-16-2004, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey FF!

As a union brother Im not gonna give you anything but the truth, (which is subjective.)

Is there a reason that you want the surfer?
For just a bit more you can get a Chariot LX. I got mine last yrae for 8000.00.

I used a 52" surfer for a few weeks last year as a demo to see what they are capable of. I liked it! but as I had large yards I would rather sit. It dosn't hold hills as well as my lx or my 99 model. I can see uses, 1 acre or less lawns in citys where a short trailer is needed.

As far as the platform goes I like it much better then velkie on my w/b.

Jim
Old 02-16-2004, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey bro,
Local 416 (indy union, I am on a department outside the city area, but we have 20+ departments in our local) here! I was just interested in looking at the different front line mowers and had heard good about the SS. I really don't know what brands I want.. I mean I am not picky just professional..(which too is subjective)! I think there are many good products out there from scag, tor, exmark and dane, just trying to do homework and make the best choice $$$ wise and durability.

"If it is on fire or bleeding I can usually fix it, other than that we might be in trouble"
Old 02-16-2004, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

The first post should read buddy got a scag... LOL not a scap, sorry!

Old 02-16-2004, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Dane's are awesome.

The Chariot riders and the Super Surfers rock!!
Old 02-16-2004, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Why do they Rock as you put it?

Old 02-17-2004, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dunno about the Surfers but I own 2 Dane Z's and I really like them. They cut well in all conditions apart from wet I've found. I love the center control sticks, Very comfortable, Minimal down time on my units, very strong fram compared to some others, The side mount Kohler on my unit cuts down on length considerably, Holds a hill like it's on rails (I can put my Chariot on some very steep hills)

Great Machines!

Pinnacle Landscapes
Old 02-17-2004, 03:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The company i used to work for had 8 chariots. The problem we encounter was where the control arms mount to the hydro motor are very weak and seem to break everyday. Of course we came up with a modifacation. It work for some time. But dont get me wrong they leave some nice lines. Thats my opinion.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey FF

Local 2995 Harrison Ark.

I have 1000 hours on my old dane Z with a few problems I had a hydro go out under warrenty, blew a head gasket, but that was a kohler problem it has beeen fixed.

My LX 200 hours no prob at all!! Great machine!!!

Jim
Old 02-17-2004, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Member

I can offer this opinion on the GD SS 52"..... Awesome, never had more fun cutting turf. We have all 3 types... Stand SS / WB with velke and a sit down rider. The GD SS just plain out cuts them all, ok maybe it dosent strip as good as the Exmark TT 52" but it has a great cut. Only problem so far... ( knock on wood ) is a flat tire. So if you have the chance, try it...you should be impressed.