Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2004, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

A F-350 will have a gvw of 12,000lbs not a payload of 12,000lbs your legal payload on a F-350 is gonna be 4500-5000lbs a F-450 is going to be 6000lbs.

A F-450 is a tough truck I have put 4 ton on my F-Superduty which is a old version of the 450 I have hauled 9800lbs in my other truck .

I don't run short boxes on my truck anything shorter than 12' long is useless for hauling long or bulky material. If you run a long box you have to be careful loading heavy materials like sand and gravel.

If you want a true work truck go with a true cab and chassis truck the frames are heavier the suspension is heavier designed for flatdecks etc.

The other thing you may consider is 4wheeldrive I know with my trucks 2wd isn't the greatest but I'am living with it I don't have the bucks to go buy a 450 4x4 for 45 grand.

I have been thinking about going to a F-350 4x4 to have 4wheeldrive but the lack of carrying capacity worries me.

A F-350 has no fudge factor your always pushing the limits you put 6000lbs into a 350 she's loaded. When you hauling aggregate products like sand and gravel its real easy to overload the truck.

A F-350 your pretty much limited to 2 yards max of sand or gravel you can go .5 yard more but you will really notice a lack of braking power. A F-450 with the same sized box can carry 2-2.5 yards so much safer alot more comfortable to drive no big worry about trying to stop.

When I haul sand and gravel I know the bucket on the 966 Cat loader is 3 yards heaping so 1/2 a bucket is roughly 1 1/4 yards a 3/4 full bucket is roughly 2 yards.

When I get loaded with the 590 Case backhoe it has a 1 yard bucket so its easy to get a rough idea on how much material you are loading on.

The material is sold by the ton but the customer wants to know how many yards it is approximatly. The heaviest material is 1" 1/2 drain rock there is no way you can put anymore than 2 yards of drain rock into a F-350 because it is 2900lbs per yard.

You have to know the rough weights per yard what material weighs are or you will be overloading the truck.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for pointing out my mistake - I do realize GVW and payload are related but separate numbers.

The dump body I'm going with is 9' long. Might be nice to go bigger but just don't want this huge truck that I really don't need right now. Considering I'm currently using a standard F250 3/4 ton and have been for 5 years, this new F350 dump body is going to be dream.

The bulk of our work is maintenance, hauling bark mulch, soil blends and occasionally small amounts of aggregate. I understand what you are saying, throw a couple yards of drain rock in the thing and I will probably wish I had a bigger payload capacity. But I also need to consider versatility as well as payload and final cost. As it stands now I'm hitting close to the 35K mark by the time taxes, license and everything is tacked on.

Would it then make sense, if I did go to the F450, to stick with the 9' dump? Keep in mind I really need the drop down sides on the dump body. Here in the NW, we bag every lawn and can accumlate large amounts of grass quickly. Loading tall dump bodies can become difficult.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ask for a quote for a comparable F-450.

Ask to compare apples to apples.

Do it yourself online and compare.

Everything else being equal, the extra 3800 lb payload capacity of the F-450, whats that worth to you?
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 02-19-2004, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TLS
Ask for a quote for a comparable F-450.

Ask to compare apples to apples.

Do it yourself online and compare.

Everything else being equal, the extra 3800 lb payload capacity of the F-450, whats that worth to you?
Good point, thank you.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

The payload capacity is something to consider sure you are running a 9' box on a F-350 it can carry 2.5- 3 yards of light bark mulch. Your working on a job that requires a heavier material like sand to top dress a lawn that has drainage problems. The box can hold 2.5 yards but the truck can't carry it kinda frustrating at times.

So you do haul the load and the truck is sucking wind because its grossing 13,000lbs maybe 14,000lbs your day gets even worse there is a DOT check. The DOT man suspects your overloaded and pulls out the portables or sends you to a fixed scale opps.

I live in a rural area so there is no fixed scales but the police have DOT power so they have portable scales.

I had a 2wd F-350 it had a light tare weight of 6800lbs because it just had a straight 12x8 flatdeck I used to beable to carry close to 6000lbs legally with a 12,000lb gvw. It was heavy load for the truck it was like a turtle on the road the braking power or the lack of it I didn't like.

I went to a F-Superduty truck man it is so much nicer hauling loads your not living on the edge all the time. The truck has a 14,500 gvw even thou most of my loads I haul the truck grosses 10-13,000lbs you have the reserve gvw. I don't fully gross the truck all the time but when I need to its there.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Now this DOT thing to worry about, never even thought about that! I mean, I've been called on the cell phone by a cop telling me to tarp my load and pulled over once for speeding but never even cosidered the fact that being overloaded is illegal. This definately needs to factor into my decision.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i forget who it was but someone mentioned about duallys being wide yes they are but remember if the mirrors clear so will the fenders and iam curious who ever got that v 10 dodge what milage are u getting ect , i get 7 mph with my v 10 i have 2 dually one a dodge and one a chevy with a 454 and love both of them ecept i had to put 3000 bucks in the dodge motor this past summer as they rebuilt the whole bottom half ....... spun 2 rod bearings and the main bearing erkkkkkkkkk but i still love the truck and how it performs and looks too
2- 48 INCH SCAG ULTIMATE WB
4 ECHO TRIMMERS ECHO STICK EDGER ECHO EXTENDED REACH HEDGERS ECHO BP BLOWERS 2 ECHO HEDGERS 2- Toro Personal Pace 22 in 2001 CHEVY CREW 3500 4X4 96 CHEVY CREW CAB DUALLY 7 X14 OPEN TRAILER ALL THE RACKS ONE WOULD EVER NEED
TURFMASTER,INC
LANDSCAPE MAINTENANCE SERVICES
Old 02-19-2004, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I was hauling some crusher dust late summer early fall last year the stuff was pretty dry I left a nice dust cloud from the pit to the site I was delivering too

I couldn't do anything about it I didn't have a tarp with me I never had crusher dust that dry before.

The DOT thing can be a concern especially if you are doing interurban work in the city. Times are changing the DOT doesn't let things go by to the wayside anymore if you get caught overloaded or a unsecure load etc man you get a good wrist slap.

The 1 ton trucks used to be okay put a good load on them and get away with it but with so many more people on the roads now running a overloaded just doesn't cut it.

A F-450 may sound geez its overkill but when you think about how it carrys a load so much better and safer you wonder how you lived without it. Say you are hauling 3 yards of bark mulch doing it with a 450 would be a breeze do the same with a 350 you will know the load is there it will be pushing the trucks limits.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gravel Rat - you have been very helpful. The Ford fleet manager just left my office. He was running computer models that said the F350 DWR w/ 141" wheel base will exceed maximum front GAWR at a full payload of around 3100 lbs. It looked like the center of gravity was pushed too far forward. Might have to go with the F450 after all.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I forgot about overloading the front axle on a swb truck I only owned a swb flatdeck quite a few years ago since then I have owned 161wb trucks. With a lwb truck you have most of the weight over the rear axle most of the time I can't get enough weight over the front wheels