Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Admin / Tech

I have made some changes and will see how it goes.

Please let me know by replying to this thread if you still have problems with this.

Thanks,

Pierre-Luc
Old 02-23-2004, 07:30 PM
Banned

Pierre,
I just got the same message again.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:45 PM
Founder

tonight we had 234 members signed on (not including lurkers, etc.) at the same time.... that's going to be a stress on just about any server.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This is the first this evening I've been able to get on the site.
11:47E.S.T.

The OOPS there's a problem message has been getting me all evening,since 6:00P.M.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Happened to me too a number of times. Seems like it's almost at random. Sometimes when clicking to open a message, sometimes when submitting a reply, or just clicking to go from page to page.

I also found it happen on searches.

To the administrators: - Would the system speed up at all if posts from say 1999 or 2000 were deleted? Like have it be a scrolling system, to keep only say the last 100,000 posts or 2.5 years I don't know if that would help, but I think any relevant searches come up with much much newer material than the 1999 stuff. Just my opinion.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Founder

I think Pierre is receiving email updates to this thread.... so, I'm sure he will respond if he has anything more to add.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:01 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Doogiegh
Happened to me too a number of times. Seems like it's almost at random. Sometimes when clicking to open a message, sometimes when submitting a reply, or just clicking to go from page to page.

I also found it happen on searches.

To the administrators: - Would the system speed up at all if posts from say 1999 or 2000 were deleted? Like have it be a scrolling system, to keep only say the last 100,000 posts or 2.5 years I don't know if that would help, but I think any relevant searches come up with much much newer material than the 1999 stuff. Just my opinion.
I can't image deleting posts from the past.... especially entire years. The loss of content and the memories that go along with many of those would be a devastating loss.... that would be like throwing away some of the very content that started LawnSite.com, throwing out some of the discussions from our dearly departed friends ..... I would almost rather get testicular cancer (knock on wood) than see past threads deleted.

When the point comes, Sean will upgrade servers again.

Right now LawnSite.com is sitting on dedicated P4... the only site on the server.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No problem. I would never want to mess with the history of the site, I know what you mean..

I used to run a Bulletin Board System on a Commodore 64 geez - how many years ago? Had a couple of 1541 and 1571's and then upgraded to a 1581 all daisy chained together. Had like a whopping 1.3 MEGS online storage which was huge. Had 2 phone lines, people who call in at the same time and it could be a 3-way chat mode. (me and the 2 of them). It was pretty neat....

Anyways, back then, you HAD to delete old messages due to space constraints.. And I can only imagine how many GIGS upon GIGS of space all these messages, with pictures attached, take up. <G>

Good luck and thanks for all the efforts...

Sheesh, system slows down just a tad and everyone complains.... <G>
Old 02-24-2004, 08:47 AM
Admin / Tech

The LawnSite archives - old posts and images - are of a great value to us and do not take that much resources on the server. They may eat up one or two gigabytes, but we have plenty left.

The problems with the server being too busy are caused by the CPU and memory usage to dynamically generate pages. Since there are many requests at the same time, the server load increases, and eventually reaches a limit where we have set the server to stop serving content pages to prevent crashes.

I am closely monitoring the server status graphs and am looking for solutions to improve the situation.

Pierre-Luc
Old 02-24-2004, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it took me quite some time to be able to get on tonight because i was receiving that message. tonight isnt the first time either. still my favorite site though.