Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2004, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Pomar

I read somewhere that the Perferred Organic Matter Requirements (POMAR) for turfgrass was 17-23 lbs per 1,000 per year.

Does anyone know what organization developed POMAR ?

thanks.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

any more info?
Old 02-21-2004, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Just that I'm marketing a Fert program which highlights the ecological benefits of adding organic material. I was curious as to where this 'POMAR' came from and if there is an organization that could offer more information, including the methodology they used to arrive at this recommendation. I've searched but have come up empty. Maybe somebody here could point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Question

Your inquiry was brought to my attention. I am the author of POMAR and would be pleased to answer any questions.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

thank u for taking the time to help.
where can i find info on the benefits of the organic matter requirements for residential turf in the south east pa.
i am trying to market organic based lawn care and i am finding many different opinions and prices for material is all over the place
thanks dusty
Old 02-28-2004, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Organic matter requirements:
I will figure how to send attachments in this forum. I can send a fertility program called Cool Season, SE PA NPK PL15. There is also NPK PL10 and NPK PL12.5 and each allows you to determine delivery of OM and desired NPK and cost to deliver both nutrient (NPK) plus (PL) organic matter. Using progarm, you choose fertilizer, rates to apply, lbs per 1000, bags per acre, etc. Its very easy to use. Most importantly, nitrogen based fertility programs become CARBON BASED. Pallet quantity purchases are possible. Again, I will find a way to attach files and send. No Problem.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow , sounds great. If you have time check out our other thread where we have discussed our fledgling organic programs and how to deliver the correct amounts and ratio of N-P-K organically.

What inspired you to write this? Do you sell organic fertlizer?
Old 02-29-2004, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Make organic matter

Trying 2b
I sent you a copy (pm) of my first reply to Raster. Provides background to methods and reason for developing a quantitative approach. I noticed you are from British Columbia. Sun March 7th I present to the Canadian Golf Course Superintendent Association "A New Approach To Fertility- 'Why Didn't Someone Think Of this Before'?" in Nova Scotia. I am sure their proceedings will be published via internet.
Regardless, I do have the information available to you from the methods used, backup resources, research to prove, power point presentation, treatment by treatment application programs, fertilizers to buy at conventional pricing- by the bag and applied. As you can see this is very well established but I will respect this forum's protocols for keeping content non-commercial. Actually, I am not versed in this area enough to know what can exactly be conveyed. I will familiarize myself and figure a way to provide you and anyone visting this discussion with the tools/products mentioned above.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

2b (or not 2b?) Sorry- a little humor.

As you suggested, I scanned the 'Fledgling Organic Programs' dialogue. Much being covered there. Alot to consider.

Nomenclature debates! Ugh. Whether a material is natural, oranic or natural- based etc. seems to me, for the most part, to be irrelevant.

Microbes can't read! Labels and marketing literature- all consumerism. The real consumers are in the soil. They could care less what we think or say (OMRI and AAPFCO included).

The only way to make organic MATTER is to apply it. If so- how much?

Collectively there is an average of 2-6 tons of organisms per acre furrow slice. This same environment posseses an average of 2-3% organic matter- their food source! Is that enough to sustain them?

What about type of organic matter? Is the organic matter 2% sugars, starches and fiber or fat, waxes, cellulose and lignins? Even if 8%OM is found as a result of a soil test- that may be a high percentage but more testing is required to determine the compositional value- but is it worth the money to find out?

This is the area of organic I specialize in and questions I believe merit more discussion in the industry. Maybe I am biased but I think this is the cornerstone for getting results in an organic program.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm certainly interested in learning more.

To say that a yard need a certain number of pounds of organic matter applied per 1,000 makes some assumptions. For example there is a huge difference in applying 20 pounds of blood meal versus 20 pounds of sawdust. Something needs to be clarified.

I'm also a little unclear on what it means for nitrogen based fertility programs to become carbon based??