Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-24-2004, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BSDeality
also, another thing to keep in mind is this server is serving over 200 members right now. during the course of the day and evening that number fluctuates people sign-in or leave.
Maybe it's time to get a better server.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Soupy
We don't need a better server ... our current server is top of the line.

Pierre will assess the current situation and propose the best solution to Sean ... I can't speak for Sean but I think he will make whatever business decision that is best or needed for LawnSite.com.

When it comes to the hardware technical issues of LawnSite.com I am pretty much clueless .... Pierre is our technical administrator for good reason.... he knows what he is doing.

Maybe the server needs some sort of tweaking.. dunno. Maybe we need faster hardware?... dunno .. maybe a Dual Xeon w/ 4 gig of ram... dunno? Maybe we need a Sun Fire E25K Server with 72 1.05-GHz UltraSPARC s400 Processors, 288 GB memory, and all the bells and whistles.... haha, a $4,000,000 server .. lol...

Pierre is in the middle of evaluating this problem and he will forward the best solution to Sean ASAP.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i can only speculate here cause i don't know the server spec's but...

most servers are more than powerful enough for the most demanding sites, however the real problem is the disk write/read times. when you have 200+ members actively inserting and pulling information out of the database, something is going to get real slow.

This site dynamically serves contents to each member, meaning that everytime you view the website it can be slightly or significantly different from what i'm seeing. When you do it 10-20 times it doesn't effect much, however when you go 10-20 times that it increases the load exponentially.

Unfortunately upgrading is very expensive (like chuck said).
Old 02-24-2004, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

also, if you look at the very bottom of the page it gives you an idea of how many processes or queries it is making.

Page generated in 0.42732310 seconds (62.77% PHP - 37.23% MySQL) with 24 queries.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:27 PM
Admin / Tech

That's true - the hard drive is generally one of the slowest components on a server, and when very little data can be cached like for LawnSite (we do cache what we can, though), it can become a bottleneck. The problem in that case is that the HD is busy serving several requests, and then new requests arrive, so they are queued before being able to access the hard drive. The queue grows bigger and bigger, and the server load increases, thus slowing down the server.

This is one of the possible scenarios, but not the only one. I am currently monitoring the server to see what exactly is wrong and what can be done to fix it, and will make my recommendations to Sean as soon as they are ready.

Pierre-Luc
Old 02-24-2004, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Soupy
I made the statment out of anger, I'm sorry. But the only reason I visited the LawnSite Announcements, Support & FAQ forum is because I have been getting very agrivated at the way lawnsite has been running. Several long post and I get an erroor and losing my time spent replying to a topic.

Dam, the same thing almost happened again. This time I was smart and copied what I had just typed knowing there was a good chance I would lose it.

trial here.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been getting the oops message off and on most of the evening with 113 registered on and 80 lurkers currently online. Kind of makes you wonder how the system handled the record 234.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Turf Medic
I've been getting the oops message off and on most of the evening with 113 registered on and 80 lurkers currently online. Kind of makes you wonder how the system handled the record 234.
It didn't handle it, that is when all the trouble started.

trial here.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

They say there is no server problem. A top of the line server could handle those numbers with ease. I also go on a car website that generally has from 2000 - 2500 users and it doesn't bog down like this. Need a server upgrade for sure.
Lawn Service Divisions
Warren - Harrison Twp. - Detroit - Lenox - St. Helen
(586) 634-2904 (313) 885-9090 (989) 443-4380
Old 02-25-2004, 07:04 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Metro Lawn
They say there is no server problem. A top of the line server could handle those numbers with ease. I also go on a car website that generally has from 2000 - 2500 users and it doesn't bog down like this. Need a server upgrade for sure.

"They say there is no server problem."

I don't think we ever said that... as a matter of fact, I recognize the problem ... that's why Pierre and I have been addressing the issue..... "

"A top of the line server could handle those numbers with ease."
Apparently not, the current server has all top quality components.
Of course .. If Sean bought a $4 million dollar 'Sun Fire E25K' server LawnSite.com would FLY! Some might even consider that a power overkill.... we are not trying to hide anything from the members ... if our current server was a Tandy TRS 80 we would have said... "It's apparent our Tandy TRS 80 can't handle LawnSite.com's traffic anymore. Its time to upgrade." ...

"I also go on a car website that generally has from 2000 - 2500 users and it doesn't bog down like this."
A standard website that does not have to dynamically generate pages does not use/need much CPU & Memory and could handle thousands of people viewing .html pages..... Now, if your saying that you visit a vbulletin type forum site that generally has 2000 - 2500 users logged on simultaneously, and their hardware is comparable to ours and they don't bog down.... well, I would have to see that to believe it... for a board that active your gonna need something like a $100,000 Dell PowerEdge, ... that would also make that car forum one of the most active boards on the Internet.... if not 'the' most active.

"Need a server upgrade for sure."
From Pierre...
"I am currently monitoring the server to see what exactly is wrong and what can be done to fix it, and will make my recommendations to Sean as soon as they are ready."

BTW... what is the link to that car site?