Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-24-2004, 04:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seeing your in NY, the cleanups would be similar, Usually branches, sticks, acorns, trash, bed cleanouts, whatever leaves are in the yard. Give it a cut

If they want old pool filters, rusty ladders, an washing machines taken away as well I would give bobby a call, hes pretty close...Stash the copper pipes before he gets there though!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 05:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

All good answers so far. Like most people said, a spring clean-up is just whatever needs done to get the yard in shape and everything looking neat again. Often, over the winter months, nobody does anything to the landscape. So beds are messy, weeds have grown, plants may need pruning, etc.

Bottom line though; the definition of a spring clean-up is up to the customer! Find out what THEY expect out of the spring clean-up.

Every single time I get a call for a spring clean-up I either ask specifically what they want done or I say something like this, "Ok. So you need a spring clean-up. To me, that typically means a good mow and edge, some spring fertilizer, weeding flowerbeds, pruning as needed, and cleaning up flowerbeds of leaves and branches. Is that what you're looking for?"

Sometimes they answer back with, "Yes. That's it!!!" Other times, they answer back with, "Well...I don't need anything quite that thorough. I just want the leaves raked up and the lawn mowed. That's really all." Still other times they say, "Yah, all that plus ______".

So it's just best to clarify with the customer. No matter what any of us here on Lawnsite say a "spring clean-up" is - it really doesn't matter. It's what your customer thinks is a spring clean-up that matters. Make it your business to find out.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 02-24-2004, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

JB1,

In the Northeast, spring clean-up can also entail removal of winter sand from lawn areas.

Especially on commercial accounts, it is not uncommon for snow to be plowed onto lawn areas. That usually means sand that was laid down the previous storm ends up on the grass -- especially if someone else has the plow account!

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"
Old 02-24-2004, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Alot of good answers!
Old 02-24-2004, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I am upfront with the customer about what I will do, I never bill by the hour since I find that becomes a trust issue and also it is easier to sell the service if the customer knows exactly how much it will cost. I fix all plow damage, use rotary broom on weed wacker to blow all sand off lawn, trim all bushes that need it and blow out beds. I have a JRCO tine aerotor on the 52" toro with a Trac Vac mounted on the back. So after I have fixed the lawn and blown the beds onto the lawn I aerate/vacuum the lawn and it looks great. Last I spread bark mulch if agreed upon. I also always try to sell some lime or fertilizer but that is an extra, not included in my normal spring cleanup The good thing about spring clean ups is two things it lets you reconnect with your exisitng customers and it often leads to lawn maintenance for new customers, I find a lot of customers are trying me out to see if they want to let me mow.
The bad thing about spring cleanups is that in my opionion you need specialized equipment to make it easy enough to pay. Rotary broom, trac vac, dethatcher really really make the difference for me. This year I will also have a bark blower to spread the mulch. Should be able to do a spring clean up and mulch a day which will really impress the customer.
52" Toro ZTR
John Deere 770 Tractor
Kubota Excavator
Finn BB302 Bark Mulch Blower
Old 02-24-2004, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

spring cleanup

Sorry to hear about your dad, my prayers are with you.
The first time I done a spring cleanup, the man took me real good.
From then, i realize there are people out there to get everthing for nothing.
We start with a spring cleanup now. I will give them a proposal with everthing i do in a spring clean up on this paper. We tell them we will clean out flower beds, (i hate to do) LOL. trimmed what hedges they want done, bag, (i don't rake), weed eat around everthing, edge, pick up what they want done. Then I tell them to look at this proposal and add anything they want to do extra. When they have done that, then i will tell them a price. If they like the price I will get them to sign the proposal then you have this to go back to.. This works for me evertime, Put it in writing,,,,If you would like to see one of these proposal let me know. I will email you a copy.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

JB1LNDSCPR,

I don't know about New York, but up here in Maine one of the biggest parts of spring clean-up is sweeping/raking the sand off the edge of the lawn and sweeping the edge of the street where there are heavy sand deposits (from the winter sanding)

I've beeing using an echo power broom for this task, lot easier than sweeping by hand.

Another helpful tool is a dethatcher (either pull behind or one that mounts on front of the machine). Saves a lot of hand raking.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

All this + make a nice sharp edge on the beds with the dirt pulled back. Customers love that, I'm my experience anyway.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

maybe you should have used that money for a education instead of buying mowers so you could learn to spell i really am sorry about your father
Old 02-25-2004, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capescaper
maybe you should have used that money for a education instead of buying mowers so you could learn to spell i really am sorry about your father

1. "a education"
2. lack of puncuation
3. non-capitalization of "i"

You're kidding this guy about HIS spelling, right? I hope you don't butcher your lawns like you do the English language.

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"