Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-24-2004, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have a new Kodiak or Topkick

I was thinking of buying a larger truck and was wondering if anyone was using one of these trucks yet. I have a 1 ton with a duramax deisel and allison tranny and was thinking of moving up to a Kodiak with the duramax or even the small cat. I would be using the truck to pull a 28ft enclosed trailer. I would put a dump bed on the truck. What are your thoughts?
Old 02-25-2004, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I purchased a new 2002 gmc 6500 or formally called topkick. It has the cat diesel with a 6 speed eaton tranny. I only put around 12,000 km on it last year. Great truck, there is no comparison between what it will haul and a 450 ford or 2 ton gmc. I pull a 16' towmaster trailer with an assortment of skidsteers, tractors, etc and carry full loads of crushed stone at the same time. You have to be careful with the ministry because it is so easy to overload these trucks. By law I can put 6 metric tonnes in the box, and it will pull that with ease.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2004, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actually I'm only thinking of going with a 4500. I don't want anything too big.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

You are going to have the same sized truck if you buy a 4500 or a 6500 because they use the same sized cab the 4500s are not like the old 3500HDs use to be.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 2003 Chevy C4500 dumptruck, the only complaint that I have, and it would be the same complaint for any truck, it is not 4wd. This truck does everything i need it to do though. And as a matter of fact I am getting ready to go down to North Carolina to pickup a new 28' enclosed trailer.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

With enough weight in the back I don't see a need for 4wd. Why would you need it. Pick-up truck definetly but a dump truck?

Well come to think of it I got mine stuck at my property but even 4wd wouldn't of worked that time.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Advanced, do you have any pics of your truck? What kind of bed is on it? What kind of trailer are you getting?
The reason I'm wanting a 4500 and not bigger is the trucks get taller, I will be putting a Omaha Standard dump bed on the truck to dump bags of grass into. I can't have to tall of truck or the bed sides will be too high.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

You are in the same boat I'am in I need a truck that can carry a decent load and have a low loading height for handloading. Its one of the reasons why I run a old F-Superduty the truck can carry 6000lbs with ease.

The problem with the Chev 4500s is they are ugly as sin I don't know why Chev built them so ugly. Its pretty hard to use a 4500 for a daily driver going to the grocery store it sticks out like a sore thumb. You wouldn't beable to get away leaving the truck parked on a residential street over night because it looks like a medium duty truck.

Having a truck that the DOT can spot right away isn't good with the F-450 and F-550s look like a P/U truck from a distance so the DOT isn't gonna rush over to see if the truck is overloaded.

In this area not drawing the DOTs attention is key if you do you might aswell call your day ruined. There is no way you can be legally loaded all the time so it is a good time to avoid the DOT.

You are probably operating the vehical safely even thou it might be 1000-2000lbs over gvw but the DOT doesn't give a crap if you are a good driver all they see is writing up big fines.

Like another driver told me its a good driver that can handle a overloaded truck not the truck itself. He is right I have had my F-Superduty with a gvw of 15,000lbs grossing 17-18,000lbs with 9000lbs of gravel on the truck. I never had any problems just take it slow I made 4 trips to one site not all 9000lbs I knocked it down to 7500lbs.

I have loaded 11,000lbs onto a F-550 sure it pushed the gross to 20,000lbs but the truck handled the load fine you just took it easy.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gravel Rat the trucks being ugly is your personal opinion, I think they are pretty good looking trucks when they are outfitted right. I will not be driving this truck for everyday running, it will be a dedicated work truck. I will be keeping my 1 ton dumper plus I drive a 3/4 chevy shortbed extended cab with the duramax and allison everyday so I won't be taking the 4500 to the grocery store.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with Hazel, I think they are good looking trucks too... The 5500 would be a good truck for hauling a 28' trailer around.

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD
6.6L Duramax Diesel and Allison