Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2004, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey, twwlawns thanks for being the one to put out the dough and try this spreader. I've been reading about it for a couple weeks and have done nothing about it.
So, how does it compare to doing it by hand? Time wise??? How many yards spread in an hour???? Do you use a helper to be most efficient????

One thing I was toying with is attaching a piece of chain link fence behind the unit to drag and work it into the soil. Any thoughts????? Would the spreader hold up to that???

Thanks again for trying it not just talking about it!
Old 05-08-2004, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Five Diamond Lawns, The spreader works great compared to doing it by hand, I have a helpers bringing compost to refill the spreader, I have spread up to 6 to 8 yards in an hour. Attaching a chain link fence to the rear of the spreader could be done, anything is possible. Hopes this helps.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, twwlawns! That helps a lot. 6 to 8 yards a hour thats great I'll own one Monday!!!!
Old 05-21-2004, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I came across a spreader manufactured in Ontario, Canada called the mini-topper. It's big bucks - about $500 + shipping. As a homeowner, a bit steep for me. I'll be going with the Laurel Valley Pelletized Compost which just became available in my area. Website for the spreader is: http://www.sportsturfmagic.com/
Old 05-22-2004, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I looked into that mini-topper and the shipping was 200 bucks, plus it would take up to 2 -3 weeks to get it. Maybe later on down te road I'll get it. The spreader I got awhile back is doing the job so far. I also talked to a company out of Seattle that was gettting one, the owner just took over and said to get back with him in couple of months to see if they are worth it or not.

If you get it, let me know, if not, I'll go out on the limb again. Gotta find the best tool for the job.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lightbulb Newer Spreader...

Quote:
Originally posted by twwlawn
www.newerspreader.com I went out on a limb and got the spreader. Got tired of spreading compost or top dressing on lawns by hand. Could not find any helpful information and decided to take a chance and hopefully find something that will help me and others to apply compost or top dressings to lawn area's.

I have put 35 yards of compost & composted manure thru this spreader, dry and wet. To test how much material comes out of the spreader, I tested it on my driveway, the depth of material was 1/4" to 1/2". With dry material there were no problems and the wet materials would ball up some, seeing that I installed the agitator and that helped and no more balling up.

The spreader works okay, the lawns that I did first, new grass is coming up nice. I hope this helps in trying to find something low in cost.

Twwlawn,

Glad to hear the newer spreader was adequate for the job. As you know I had been thinking of purchasing this piece of equipment. How has it been holding up? I think I would rather use actual compost rather than granulated, thats why this cheaper alternative spreader is appealing to me. Do you think if you somehow modified the top so it could haul a bigger load, it would handle the extra increased capacity?

Craig
Old 05-23-2004, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Craig,

132 yards of composted manure has gone through the spreader, it is holding up with no problems. Anything is possible to modify equipment to meet certain needs as long as the structure of the equipment is not degraded to function properly. The sides can be extended for a larger load. I have not done that or added anything to the spreader because it meets my needs as is. The spreader works for me, its alot better than using a wheel barrow and rake. Hopes this helps, contact me with anymore questions, be glad to help.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Member

http://www.earthandturf.com/multispread.htm
Old 05-25-2004, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

JethroBodine,

I did look at these spreaders, getting them through 36" gates is a problem, plus the cost for these range from 2470.00 to 5720.00, depends on what options you want. There are some folks here on LS that use them. With the New Spreader I can get it through the 36" gates, plus the cost is alot lower.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Question Compost spreader

Quote:
Originally posted by JethroBodine
http://www.earthandturf.com/multispread.htm
How much are they?

Craig