Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2004, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

start up traps

What are some of the biggest unseen mistakes or snags that you wish you didn't have to go through during your start up. I have run my start up list through my head for years now and just know that there is going to always be something I'm missing. Help me not make your mistakes........PLEAAAAAASEE:alien:
Old 03-04-2004, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Take every thing in your head and put it on paper every thing sounds good but you need to see it to. Hell even Santa Claus needs a list .
Old 03-05-2004, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

don't underbid properties. build tight routes.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One of the bigger landscaping companies just went out of business here because they bought some expensive equipment, but forgot that there wasn't much work in the winter, and they couldn't pay the bills.
Cash flow problems are one of the biggest killers of new businesses. Only buy equipment if you know you can afford it in the long term.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Let it Grow
One of the bigger landscaping companies just went out of business here because they bought some expensive equipment, but forgot that there wasn't much work in the winter, and they couldn't pay the bills.
I was going to say something almost identical. Be aware of your seasons.... Sounds simple, right? You will have slow times,
Plan For Them.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not knowing your operating costs and overhead. Tough, even painful to figure out when you are just starting, but necessary if you are to avoid under-bidding and loosing money. That said, don't be afraid to make a mistake, generally one or two under-bids are not going to put you out of business and you learn a bunch. Has already been mentioned, but route density is a key in this business. If you have a tight route of properly priced customers you are doing it right.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

remember to do quality work, and drive away from every property as if 100 people are watching you. Your work is your best business card, as it is proof of what kind of service you provide, quality, or not. Either way, the word will spread.

Things I learned the hard way, but glad I went through and learned, as now I will never forget them...

1) drive time is wasted time, so try to keep tight route
2) if you buy cheap equipment, that's what you are getting, cheap equipment. try to buy the best you can afford to do the job right
3) always invest back into the company. if you don't think it is worth investing in, then you do not think it is worht having the business, period.

Good luck out there!
Old 03-13-2004, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been putting ALOT on paper lately....trying to be realistic. I've even gone to a 4 day week just for rain days, catch ups and maybe some installs or estimates. I've done numbers on some overhead. I even went alittle over looking forward to some growth. Looking to push 12 month contracts to help form a baseline income. I worked as a lawn spray tech for three years so I understand the importance of a tight route. I've also come up with a baseline number for hourly operating cost. The biggest problem I have with estimating is time when I have help on site. I look at something and say "well I can can do that in x hrs." well thats not always the case with hourly help...lol. well I've gota go plug some more numbers and call a few more thanks for the help.
Brian
Old 03-13-2004, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

biggest start up mistake is starting to get too big too fast causing the quality of properties to go down, and lack of help to maintain the properties.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buying crap equipment...As far as your small engines go, but really high quality commercial grade equipment!! (echo, stihl, shindaiwa, redmax, etc.) Take baby steps when it comes to trying to grow. One final thought....justify each large purchase heavily before jumping into it. Good luck to all...