Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2004, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Show up at his house with a baseball bat, that will get him to pay!

Just Kidding
Old 03-01-2004, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

OK, here is what you do. Go over and ask him one more time, if he doesn't pay, do this. Mix up some of your best Round-up in a big backpack sprayer. (They hold more) Go to the middle of his lawn and turn on the sprayer. Write in large letters "I owe (the name of your company) XX.XX amount of money and I am too cheap to pay them" Then bill his ass for the Round-up too. If he takes you to court, your bill plus interest should more than outway his damages and you're even. Then, the new guy he calls to screw this year, will be for-warned when he sees the yard. Just my opinion
Stihl BR420C Backpack
Stihl FS85 Trimmer
6.5X12 open trailer with ramp
6.5X16 open trailer with ramp and side gate
Old 03-02-2004, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I have run into this before, learn from mistakes, never let them get that far out. bill monthly, they pay you continue, better to lose a little than alot.I now try to get seasonal contracts with payment up front,it" a no loose.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Go to the commercial forum, do a search. There are tons of threads about this subject. They are straggling because they know they can get away with it without repercussions. Do you live in a northern clime where you don't do winter work? If so, they probably figure there's nothing you can do. Work is already over, they got their value and now they are going to screw you. You need to go in person, make it clear you will take them to court and file a lien on their property if they don't pay.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

send him a certified letter then get out the eraser. he wont have a lawn for 2 years. wait a year so he doesnt know for sure it was you. i have waited 2 years for the guy who screwed me out of 2grand.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i filled court papers in civil court.. that's the best thing to do.. i still have a hoa that owe me $60... tomorrow i'll call them and let them know they have one week left or i'll file them in court...
Old 03-06-2004, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

set yourself up a 30-60-90 day system. 30 day is a pleasant reminder. 60 day is statement of account w/ note that you haven't had a response from the 30 day notice. 90 day certified letter mentioning small claims court if you don't recieve payment by a date 30 days in the future.

i haven't had to go beyond the 90 day letter yet, the certified letter usually scares them into paying. but this dog has teeth! i look forward to the day when i can file in small claims and see how that process works.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Give them hell.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Member

This is what I have to look forward too???LOL
EmeraldCutLLC@aol.com
Old 03-07-2004, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't bill anyone right off. I tell them they must leave a check for me when I arrive, or be home to pay me! If they balk at that I tell them to leave me a signed note with date stateing they give me permission to cut the grass, & will be mailing me a check for $$$$. I call them the night before I go to do the lawn so they put the check out & eliminate billing, stamps & the trouble of collecting after the fact!! 9 years & not any non payments, & no 1 has complained.