Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2004, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Baseball field look?

How can a guy get that diamond loooking dark green/light green look going? Do yo have to mow different ways every other day? Is it in the type of blade? I am looking at geting a new mower. I will probably go with a JD 727, or SST18 or GX garden tractor with 54" mower. I want to mulch, but I would love to get that look you see on TV at all the ball diamonds. Is this possibe without cutting it everyday?
Keegan
Old 02-25-2004, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

after taking care of a ncaa baseball field for almost 5 years ,one trick is using a mower with reels and rollers(golf course equip).
2nd trick is cutting same pattern many days in a row and burning that pattern in.3rd trick is the grass is cut every day at 1.25 to 2 inches.This is info for a baseball field,it can be done on comm. accounts just by mowing with a 2 pattern system.Only thing is you need to move pattern or totally change for the health og grass and soil or you will have ruts etc.Hope this helps
Old 02-25-2004, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Use different color paint... that will do the trick! J/k, but I have heard of them doing this, is that true?
Old 02-25-2004, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fivestar gave the advice I'd would have given. Although I would like to see you go with the JD 727 over the garden tractors. There is no comparison between a ZTR and a garden tractor. Especially with the quality of cut.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can go with a JD737. i have one and i have great stripes.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

also, re you a commercial mower, or a homeowner? If a homeowner, you probably do not need to spend 8 or 10 grand on a mower. Look for striping rollers. Use the search feature here, and look at e-bay. or you can build a stripe kit with chains. Also some grasses stripe better than others. You probably have a coolseason grass so that is better. Bermuda and many of the warm season grasses do not stripe well.
Norm
Old 02-26-2004, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you all for the replies. Yes I am a homeowner. I will do a search for "striping rollers" Also, am part owner of a metal fabrication shop so building something would be a breeze if I had a pattern.
Thanks
Old 02-26-2004, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

fabbing something should be easy. I use a chain striping kit that I made, but if I had access to the toys you do, I would use nice heavy stainless tube, bout 2-3 inch diameter, fit a bearing to each end, and make a bracket to let it ride with the ground (i.e. when you pick the deck up, it would drop down an inch or 2. how big a yard do ya have?
Norm
Old 02-26-2004, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 3 acre lawn. I water about 1/2 of that so I don't have to cut all of that each week. I am leaning toward the SST18. I want hydrostatic tranny, but who knows. I will have to get out there and try them out. It's a bit cold right now. Not sure if the dealer would let me cut the snow on their lot. lol Oh well, still looking for ideas.
On that roller, are you saying that it should be on a pivot where the roller goes down as the deck goes up? Couldn't you just mount it at the back of the deck just above where it would hit ground? This could help when going over large hills without scalping the lawn?