Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2004, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffeecraver
spraying
with round-up and surflan, should not be done under trees if it can be avoided.
??? what's the reasoning behind this?

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 02-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Grassmechanic
??? what's the reasoning behind this?
I have read that trees with lots of surface roots can sustain slight damage due to post and pre emergent herbicides. Never seen any effects but thats what some labels say.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dan

OK, What do I look for on the tree trunk? Thanks.........
Gene
Old 03-01-2004, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry about not getting back to this sooner, haven't been online in a couple of days...

The only telltale sign that I know of when it comes to girdling roots, is a trunk with a flat side to it. Not all trees with flat trunks have girdling roots, however. The flat spot develops only after the root starts to grow into the trunk.

If you see a flat spot, it's worth investigating. What I use is a trowel/AML soil knife once the major part of the excavation is done. If there is a girdler, I cut it as close to the flare as possible, and as far away from the trunk as possible and lift the piece out.

If you get into a really nasty situation, it may be best to find someone with an air spade, those make MUCH faster work of the excavation!

Dan
Old 03-02-2004, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NCSULandscaper
I have read that trees with lots of surface roots can sustain slight damage due to post and pre emergent herbicides. Never seen any effects but thats what some labels say.
My experience in both lab and field, showed no adverse effects of using R-up around the base of trees. R-up has to get into the vascular system of the plant to work. The only way we were able to prove, is that it is only possible through the leaf tissue or through a wound in the bark directly into the cambium layer. Root absorption was non-existent, mostly due to the fact that the R-up was broken down before the roots have a chance for absorption. If you could point me in the direction of a study that has been done, I'd appreciate it.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 03-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Banned

We did a few studies for that at NC State while i was there. Never found a problem with larger trees with surface roots. However on some labels you do find some warnings about spraying surface roots, but still have not found a problem either. I dont see how roundup can get absorbed through the roots enough to do damage as it would travel with foliar application.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

grassmechanic-
Hop over to Arboristsite and do search in the Commercial Tree Care and Climbing forum... Search for "Roundup study" or some variation. Wade through the results, and you will probably find a link to a study that was done over in Europe that says R-up is bad for the trees.

However, I think you will also find in that same thread remarks about how the study was biased, etc, and really has no validity...

HTH.

Dan
Old 03-04-2004, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Dan..........

Old 03-04-2004, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by D Felix
A couple of times last year I was in the process of removing buildup of old mulch around trees, only to discover a girdling root. Found about 3 of them inside of 2 weeks.

Does anyone know what to look for on the trunk of a tree to clue you into a girdling root?

Anyone?

Dan
Old 03-04-2004, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

no root flare on a portion or side of the trunk...the tree trunk flat or indented is a quick way of determining possible girdling roots.
Norway maples 90% of the time decline from this problem