Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2004, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

landscaping beyond 60 years of age

I was curious to know if there are any members here that started there business when they were in their 20s, 30s and are still in it into their elder years such as 60 years of age, especially if you were solo. If so, what did you do when you were younger to take care of your self to enable you to withstand the grueling work for this long. Did you eat a special diet or have a workout routine, setup a retirement fund of some kind, etc. I guess I am trying to get a ball park figure on how long a person lasts before their body's give out. Thanks
Old 02-26-2004, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Interesting question. I've got a friend in the business and have noticed he stays ALOT thinner than he used to be. He's been doing it for about 10 years and he had a hip problem last year. He's right at my age, 42. The only thing I can tell that he does different is drink more beer. He's not into any kind of healthy lifestyle. Not much help but it'll get ya a TTT.

Brett
Hustler, JD, Shindaiwa, Husqvarna stuff
Old 02-26-2004, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started in my mid-thirties and hope to still be in this business past 60. I am still an owner/operator and perform labor at every job site. I also drink more beer than I used to and still eat whatever I want. My body is in good shape and my back rarely hurts anymore because of the exercise. My workout routine is what I do everyday at work.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

well thats me exactly..except for a few times when the body faild to scratch.. ive always stayed in good shape.., now the shoulders are shot. that mostly just affects my tree work tho.. which is what i liked to do best..
im in a fight ite now to regain some conditioning.. dont have any choice as to whether ill win the fight oir not..
i will sooner or later but its gettin harder.. i just know id never be happy reired,so long as i can make the muster i willl. after that ,i dont care to live much any more..done seen too many do it.,. it almost never turns out that retirement brought what they thot it would..my work is primarily for the elderly so i know what i speak of.. lost over 30 percent of my customers last yr..
Old 02-26-2004, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My dad is not yet 60 but he started his business back in 1975 when he was 25. He started out pretty big but thru the years has stayed small. He has a good customer base of about 70 customers. He has no diet, I been telling him he needs to lose 50 pounds but hard to tell him anything. He pretty much rides the mower all day and has a mexican that does all the trimming and BS work.

I dont know what he has set aside for the later years, but I would imagine he has another 10-15 more years left.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I started doing lawn care at 20 and sold the lawn care at 40 .

In 1984 a 3 bedroom house in a nice community was $125,000 and to cut the lawn was $25.00 (1/3 acre) In 2002 that same house is $ 450,000 and to cut the lawn was $25.00 . All I can say is I am glad I sold the lawn side and bought my house in 1984.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I'm seriously considering starting a business and I'm 50. I hope to last at least ten years and maybe fifteen. So ask me in 10 years....
(800) 635-8485 x3360
billc@clip.com
Old 02-26-2004, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I know a guy next town over I call him old man Mike he runs a business call Mike an Joes landscaping only there is no Joe his son didnít like it but heís around age 75 tuff as nails. Guy cracks me up does 135 lawns a week with just him and one helper more then half are 1 acre or larger. And he a true hacker but his clients seem to like him despite his favorite way to talk to people offering jobs he donít want iv seen him use this more then 10 times { F U lady } heís a trip at one time he had 7 crews so heís much smaller then he use to be but wont give it up.

My stepfather is age 72 life long farmer and I can only hope to make his kind of money {he can buy most of your houses in cash just off the income of a single week in May during flower season} The old guys can be very weathered and very tuff I had some idiot on my lawn working for me get in to an argument with my step dad and actually picked up a shovel and held it like a bat and was ready to swing it at the old guy his response so which end of that shovel do you want to eat first son. I sent them both home for acting immature donít underestimate old guys if they work for a living and I mean work not some pansy job they are in much better shape then you would guess.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is more practical to think I will still be around and in good heath at age 65 in the lawn care biz than if I had a desk job.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I started part time in 1988 and went full time in 2000, had 4 guys working (sometimes) last year.I'm down sizing this year and will also be 62 this year.
Gene