Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2004, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

need help bidding villas

just wondering if anyone could give some advice. basically theres like 25 right now but they need numbers for the ones that are gonna be done this year. none of then are over 3,000 square ft.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Are all 25 of them right next to eachother meaning you can stop and mow all of them with out driving to all of them separately. If so, you'll have to figure that into your price.
Where at in st. louis are you from. I mow across the river in O'Fallon IL
Old 02-27-2004, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i am in florissant but only service in west county . yeah all of them are next to each other. how could i bid the ones that arent built?
Old 02-27-2004, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I would talk to the developer and ask if the landscaping design is going to be the same as the existing ones. Are they going to have same number of trees and beds etc... If he says yes you can bid them according to the ones already completed. You might want to put a clause in your bid that states the bid is contingent on the layout of the property being similar to the ones already landscaped. Does the developer have any specs of the property that you can look at to get an idea of square footage and layout? Hope some of this helps. I'm still new and dealing with alot of questions of my own on bidding commercial and larger properties. If you have any things you have done in the past let me know Thanks, good luck.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i am getting all the specs tomorrow but yeah they are all the same . and then how would you bid the common ground? like how much per acre? i am new to the sales thing . i just quit a lco
that i have been with for 9 years.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Member

GREAT QUESTION!!! Im trying to find out the same thing. Right now most of properties are average size residential yards and I don't really put a price tag on acreage, but rather the time it takes me to do it. Right now I would say I'm getting an average of $40 an hour. Example, a yard that takes me 40 to 45 minutes I usually charge $35. I think I'm about average with others around my area. Some of the really large companies around here may charge a little more, but I'm not sure. On a large common area, with a minimum of obstructions, maybe see how long it will take you, but don't forget to consider the wear and tear on your equipment. I'm still trying to make sure that I'm considering that enough when I bid my yards.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

look at each villa as a home, determine a price for each one. with this you can price the ones that aren't built yet. take the grand total and then make adjustments . give a percentage or dollar amount off due to the fact that once you are there you don't have to drive eliminating widowshield time.. also try to figure how long you are going to be there. if you can make more money cutting individual homes than you can with these villas (time wise) then skip the the villas. and then again home owners associations are good for you and your rep.. just watch out for condo commandos when you get those types of jobs
Old 02-27-2004, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i was thinking of maybe $50 -$60 a hour and that would include wear and tear. basically when this place is all said and it will be about $1400 a cut i am thinking.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Member

That sounds like it is a pretty fair bid. On most of your residential yards in your area, what are you getting?
Old 02-27-2004, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah i think i am a little higher than most but i have to pay for all the overhead. plus i think i do a very professional job. all my prices include edging of walks, curbs and driveways every other week . i dont even use a weedeater on them

well i think i can make more doing these b/c theres no drive time . so say there is 40 of them in all reality there only 20 houses with maybe 5000 square ft . plus they are all right next to each other . i am go in at about 12.50 per villa