Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2004, 04:51 AM
LawnSite Member

New as can be!

Well ive been reading the forums for a few weeks now and I have to say this is the place for info. Great forums and great people. Im going to start a small lawn business part time cause im a Corrections officer full time and I do alot of 4 on 4 off's. I see alot of people talking about the walk behind mowers and the Z machines but what did some of you use to start. Im asking this cause I am going to start with just a ride em mover either a Husqavarna or the goold old sears craftsman to start. Im buying a flatbed trailer and a trimmer and blower. Just starting basics. Im buying used so im not investing alot. So I was just curious about how some people started off and what equipment you used and any funny stories. Is there any other canadians around to yack at too? I live in northern BC!! Hope to hear from some of you.....
Old 02-27-2004, 05:02 AM
LawnSite Member

same here,starting new this season,with a cub cadet 2180,lawn tractor,2 push mowers,back pack blower,and a weed wacker.one man crew!somebody got to ride!! hey i hope you to good!
Old 02-27-2004, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started with a 36 in walkbehind. If you are serious about the business, I wouldnt start out using home owner equipment. What does a riding mower go for these days? $1500? You can always find used commerical equipment.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I found a Deere L110 for about 20% off at a local Home Depot and decided to grab it as my startup machine. It has that footpedal to switch from forward to reverse and is a remarkably nimble machine for only $1500. It fits the little trailer I have and I can store everything at home this first year.

Now, year #2? Different story most likely, but I wanted to get up and running economically while I develop a feel for this market. How many clients will want a full suite of service (landscape care) is something I need to figure out, and if I can generate a lot of revenues from a medium base of customers, I won't need huge mowers.

Still, I suspect I'll have to pick up a 48" walkbehind with a sulky next year, which will require a new trailer (my current has only 46.5" inches of available passageway) and rental space as I won't be able to keep that at home.

This first year will give me the scoop on how to operate a business in this area and what sort of returns I can expect. As long as that Deere yields a nice cut (it can be a backup machine next year, after all), it's all I need right now.

Mark

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Mark, Where in Northern VA are you?
Im out here in Manassas
Old 02-27-2004, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you guys have company's down in the states that do property managment. Where people call them and get them to find lawncare and other things, usually apartments, condos, car dealerships, banks. Thats what im going through im bidding on some smaller apartments, there's 4 that im bidding , 500.00 -600.00. This comapny that is doing it gets alot of business through the banks too so if I can get in good with this property managment company ill get some of there bank calls too..But well see how things go.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My biggest piece of advice for you:

Avoid buying cheap equipment because you will end up replacing it all...not only that but it may fail in the middle of a job. I hate that situation more than anything.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Started out with the lawnboy I had for my own yard and cheap craftsman blower and trimmer. Nice part about that was I didn't have any startup capital. Just put it all in the back of my truck and went. It wasn't long before I knew I had to upgrade. Got a used Scag 36 belt drive for $2000, added new Stihl trimmer edger and backpack blower. All that still fits into the truck bed, but I'm tired of setting up ramps at every stop, so I'm going trailer shopping tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advise guys. It's nice to hear some of you talk about how you started out, and how you don't need to go with brand new stuff and top of the line. I had a friend that I worked with last year put in alot of money in his lawn business but all he did was pay of some of his equipment and not see much money for himself. I think im gonna try and get some used stuff and shop for some deals. I know this isn't a get quick business but im sure if you put alot of hard work into it you can make some good money.