Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2004, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

catcher & engine strain

Have any of you guys ever put a catcher on your zero turn and thought you were doing an injustice to the engine.......the actual weight of what you were catching was just to much for the mower to perform correctly. I am 6' 4" & weigh in around 230. This actually happened to me with a grasshopper a few years back.....just could not handle the weight and cosequently got rid if it.

I am cosidering an exmark 48" rider with an accelorator or clam shell attatchment. Would this be a wise move?
Old 02-27-2004, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Re: catcher & engine strain

Quote:
Originally posted by pines
Have any of you guys ever put a catcher on your zero turn and thought you were doing an injustice to the engine.......the actual weight of what you were catching was just to much for the mower to perform correctly. I am 6' 4" & weigh in around 230. This actually happened to me with a grasshopper a few years back.....just could not handle the weight and cosequently got rid if it.

I am cosidering an exmark 48" rider with an accelorator or clam shell attatchment. Would this be a wise move?
I'll take any replies, any thoughts.....PLEASE
Old 02-27-2004, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Was it the extra weight of the grass clippings or was it just that the engine didnt have enough power to run the hi lift blades. Or did it have a blower attached .
Old 02-27-2004, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I get where your coming from at 230 you are big boy iv seen the strain on some wbs transmissions before. Knowing your weight then add on the weight of grassthe catcher full tank of gas and you may be putting 400 pounds on that mower. On my trac vac I have front weights plus the 44 gal pale is close to 150 pounds when its wet grass plus all the frame plus the extra motor then of course myself. Which is why I opt for the largest motors I can get on the mowers. A 27 hp engine will have no trouble moving you but a 20 might just keep that in mind when you buy your mower.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by specialtylc
Was it the extra weight of the grass clippings or was it just that the engine didnt have enough power to run the hi lift blades. Or did it have a blower attached .
It was the extra weight of the clippings. What would happen is the steering would not work correctly. The mechanisms to stop/reverse the wheels to go in the correct direction were strained and cosequently it just wouldn't work.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelly's Landscaping
I get where your coming from at 230 you are big boy iv seen the strain on some wbs transmissions before. Knowing your weight then add on the weight of grassthe catcher full tank of gas and you may be putting 400 pounds on that mower. On my trac vac I have front weights plus the 44 gal pale is close to 150 pounds when its wet grass plus all the frame plus the extra motor then of course myself. Which is why I opt for the largest motors I can get on the mowers. A 27 hp engine will have no trouble moving you but a 20 might just keep that in mind when you buy your mower.
Would you recommend a 27 hp diesel only?
Old 02-28-2004, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Come on 400 extra pounds on hydros is nothing as long as you arent underpowered to begin with.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds to me lile you had a problem with your transmission. The pump was going out or the belt was slipping or something similar.