Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-29-2004, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello Steve....I have a question for you

I'm new to the application side of this business. I've been studying the posts regarding Primo, and Primo Maxx on here, and was wondering if it's a mistake to use it on a yard that's not free of weeds. I know you don't want to use it on a diseased lawn, but wasn't sure what to expect from a recently acquired lawn account that I hadn't had a chance to control the weeds on yet. I was afraid that the Primo would limit the uptake of the herbicide into the weed. Worse yet. I'm afraid that the stunted grass would be less effective at crowding out the weeds, due to a lack of height.

I'm also wondering if a dosage of less than .75 per M would be legal. My thinking is that if the .75 dosage would allow the lawns to grow enough to still need to be cut weekly, I'd go with that. If I needed to cut the dosage back from .75 (and would not be in conflict with the label), to be able to still cut weekly, I'd be willing to do that. Since I'm paid by the cut, I wanted to have top growth that I'd have to cut weekly, just not excessive growth that would hurt the looks of the lawn, nor slow me down. I'm all ears.

Vic
Old 02-29-2004, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just so you know Steve. Most of my lawns are KBG, and FF, with some PRG. Thanks again.

Vic
Old 02-29-2004, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Who is Steve??????
Old 02-29-2004, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOL..................I have no idea, hope he can help
Old 02-29-2004, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

His screen name is Tremors

His real name is Steve

Vic
Old 02-29-2004, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Victor,

You'll be OK. Primo might actually reduce weeds slightly due to the increased turf density that will result. You'll still be mowing once a week. But the effect on the turf will be what you might expect from mowing every 4-5 days. A tighter stand of denser turf.

Primo won't directly affect dicot weeds in any way. So if at a later date you decide to treat for them with a broadleaf herbicide the Primo will niether hinder nor enhance the effect. But the turf will likely fill in the weedy areas more quickly & completely due to enhanced tillering.

On Kentucky Blue grass that's high cut I'd stick to the .75-1 oz rate. I only advocate the really low rates when my customers program includes a spray every 2 weeks such as Pro Athletic & Golf Turf. We just stick it in with whatever fungicide &/or fertilizer they're running. On residential turf at .75 you'll see very little impact on the mowing directly following the application. But the next 4-6 mowings will be markedly easier & the turf will look better too. Darker green & tighter.

Here is a very informative fact sheet on Primo Maxx that you might find helpful.

http://www.engageagro.com/media/pdf/...re_english.pdf

Have a great season!

Steve
Old 03-01-2004, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it is any help I swear by the stuff. We put it in the broadleaf mix and spray both at the same time. It is amazing how it slows the turf, thickens, and then greens it up nicely. I would never want to cut without it again.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kicken......How do you justify the cost to the customer?? Do you 'offer' it to them, or is it a 'mandatory' part of your app route.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Primo saves you more money in labor than it costs you to use. But most of my customers include it with a chargable service & get paid for it anyway.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys

I appreciate the info. I've got the feeling this is going to be a really good year.

Vic